What's new

will gravel substrate help smelly water

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
The fish are behind this [not sure if that is a pun or not...but not meant to be!]. I have play sand in my tanks, and I never see anything on it but when I do the water change each week I can certainly stir stuff up, but it is more a cloud the particles are so small. I have smallish fish. If I had large fish I am sure I would see it. Even in my cory tank with 40 average-sized cories their continual sifting through the upper sand never stirs up particles larger than what could only be described as a slight cloudiness.

Snails help with this, because they eat all the organics (fish excrement especially) which breaks it down faster so the bacteria can handle it quicker. I have dozens if not hundreds of pond snails in my tannks, and undooubtedly that makes a difference too.
Yep, I love my snails. Problem is that my goldfish eat snails just like they eat plants. MTS do survive if I only put adults in. I never have a snail population explosion in my goldfish tanks at least. Lol! My point is that with the gravel I can clean all the way to the bottom and really deep clean. I couldn’t do this with sand. Maybe I’m just a clean freak. It’s all a matter of what a person prefers.

seangee

Reaction score
No arguments or opinions - just my own experience...
Some years ago I used to religiously vacuum my sand every single day; and at the weekends I removed all the furniture and did a proper job. At the time I had light sand (and MTS) in a mature tank. It was play sand so fairly fine. I felt that I had to do this because my tap water has 50ppm nitrates and that is what I was using, so I was completely paranoid about organics. I also used to stir it up weekly.

I mentioned it on this forum and several members suggested I was wasting my time and I should just leave it alone as the tank biology would take care of it. I was pretty sceptical but gave it a go. The first night I was appalled at how dirty it looked a few hours after feeding time, if you have a bristlenose on light substrate you will know what I mean. I came downstairs the next morning fearing the worst and my sand was absoultely spotless. Since then I have never cleaned my sand other than to remove dead leaves.

When I set up my newest tank about 5 months ago I did not add any MTS and used brand new sand. In the beginning there was visible mulm in the tank and it took 6-8 weeks for this to clear, which suggests that there is some assistance from bacteria in the sand bed which took a while to establish. (I did regularly test for nitrogen compounds during this time, but never detected any - not even nitrate as I use RO water and have plants).

Conversely when I set up my nano two years ago I decided, for asthetic reasons, to have a gravel "stream" running across the tank. After 6 months I got so frustrated at having to vacuum the gravel every week and then having to retrieve the shrimplets I sucked up (not to mention how mucky this got in a week), that I removed the gravel and let it fill with sand. Now I don't vacuum any of my tanks - ever. Not going to bore you with pics because there are plenty of pics of all 3 tanks on this site.

Its entirely your choice what you want to use and how you choose to maintain it, but I won't be using gravel again. Thankfully I have almost zero experience of health issues, and I have a hard time believing that its just down to blind luck.

Deanasue

Staff member
Global Moderator
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
So it’s agreed. Some prefer sand and some prefer gravel. Fortunately, both are readily available so the choice is ours. :)

OP
finfayce

finfayce

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Yep, I love my snails. Problem is that my goldfish eat snails just like they eat plants. MTS do survive if I only put adults in. I never have a snail population explosion in my goldfish tanks at least. Lol! My point is that with the gravel I can clean all the way to the bottom and really deep clean. I couldn’t do this with sand. Maybe I’m just a clean freak. It’s all a matter of what a person prefers.
thanks!
when i go to Petco next time (30 minutes away) :( i will check out gravel. online is hard for me to judge size. like the time i bought a hut for my gerbil and it was twice as big as his cage! my bad

trending

Most reactions - Past 7 days