Will Blue Gouramis Eat Fry

K8Shores

Reaction score
I've got 4 Blue Gouramis in with my 2 preg Platies. Will the Gouramis eat the Platie fry? Everybody seems to be getting along great. They all just seem to mind their own business. I'm just worried that there will be a massacre after the fry are born.

If it's anything like my pearl gourami, it will. I can tell if my platy has dropped fry over night - the night before they're full of eyeballs, the next they're not - and not a fry to be seen. Ever. None EVER survive in my tank, and I'm sure its the gourami's. I had a net full of 2 month old fry, and all bar 4 escaped and were eaten (even at that age/size) before I noticed.

If you really want to save some, you will have to have her give birth in a breeder net or something. Try to time it close to when she's gonna drop so you don't stress her out by having her in there too long.

If it's anything like my pearl gourami, it will. I can tell if my platy has dropped fry over night - the night before they're full of eyeballs, the next they're not - and not a fry to be seen. Ever. None EVER survive in my tank, and I'm sure its the gourami's. I had a net full of 2 month old fry, and all bar 4 escaped and were eaten (even at that age/size) before I noticed.

If you really want to save some, you will have to have her give birth in a breeder net or something. Try to time it close to when she's gonna drop so you don't stress her out by having her in there too long.
Thanks for the info...... any suggestions on how to make a home made breeder net? I spent what little money I had left on buying a seperate tank for the platies and gouramis.....had to get them away from the african cichlids and tetras, before they got beat up!

My swordtail just had her babies last nite. I wasnt expecting them yet so I didnt have a fry tank ready. I made one. I used panty hose and a small plastic bin with wholes on the sides and bottem. Put it all the way to the toes of the pantyhose, cut the pantyhose off only leaving about a 1 inch whole at the top. Then to make it float I hooked fishing bobbers to the panty hose. It is working well so far. None have excaped. Hope this helps you

you could get a hatchery tank (maby 5-10 gallons) when your fish are due to drop (3 days befor or something) put the mummy in the hatchery then raise the babies in it then when there around 3 weeks-1 momth sell to your lfs or keeep some:)

My breeder net (Marina brand, it's quite roomy) cost me only $4 and I think you can get them just about anywhere - if your a bit strapped for cash $4 is a better option then buying another little tank. It's in a little flat cardboard box, comes with a plastic frame that you assemble and put the net over - only thing is it doesnt float, its got hook like things so it goes on the side of the tank. Bumping it was how I lost most of my fry I think.

But its a cheap option nonetheless. If you want a link with a picture of the box I can probably dredge one up.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back