Wife wants yellow fish... help me out

newbie15 said:
midas blenny.. cool cool fish.
One thing frightens me about blennies... the fact that most of them are venomous :( I like to be able to reach into my aquarium to move things around if need be, or to hand feed my peppermint shrimp, etc. I've been bitten by some of my fish before (who among us hasn't?)... and personally I don't want to find out first hand just what a blenny's venom is like :) For that reason, I have avoided blennies and gone with the more personable gobies instead :D

I say ignore the tang police and get the smallest yellow tang you can find. When it starts getting too big trade it for another small one. People are going to buy yellow tangs no matter how much the tang police whine about it. Whether it is 55 gallon or 200 gallons, they are still going to be in a much smaller space than in the wild. I don't get their logic that if you have a 100 gallon tank you can keep one, but a 55 is way to small..... And yes this is my first post in here, but I have kept saltwater fish for 30 years and owned multiple pet shops, I am not a newbie.. The whole tang thing is over hyped... If it were a Sohal tang, I can understand. But yellow tangs grow slowly... Let the fireworks begin... :flex:

Didya ever wonder why there are tang police? its because peope were geting ich and wiping out entire tanks, its not as if these animals are farmed, most every tang in every tank everywere comes from the ocean somewhere

No fireworks here and your opinion is welcomed.

By allmeans take the risk and add a fish that it aggressive and can spread whitespot if stressed (which is easy for tangs).

Your experience of 30 years is welcomed and im sure some people will take your advice. I still warn against it and stand by my advice.

I myself am going to listen to the tang police, however there is a pet store close to me that has kept a yellow tang in a 55 gallon tank for several years. They have not had any problems at all with whitespot.

Navarre, from what you've posted in other threads, I take it that you have had problems with this... even in larger tanks. I understand daclozer's point... but it is not worth the great risk to your entire aquarium.

That said... is it right to keep tangs in captivity at all? Other than large museums, zoos and VERY large aquariums, the fish are not able to swim the same distance that they do in the wild.

Well that's not strictly true...

Moray eels, for example, live in very small enclosed caves in the wild, so they do not mind small aquaria. Some gobies never stray more than a foot or so from their hole/burrow/cave so to keep them in an aquarium isn't so much of a massive difference.

Tangs are far more active, however, and probably need as much swimming room as they can get.

I would listen to the 'tang police' Lol, what a cool name...anyways, like sammydee said, they need room! And the risk to your set-up is huge if u dont have quarantine. I like the clown idea. Ive seen several different coloured species. (Although i havnt got info for u, sorry) :)

I also, would go with the Yellow Wrasse.

A Yellow Tang really should have a tank over a hundred gallons to be happy.

The clinical analysis of whether a fish can be kept in a certain environment, to me, disregards the mental well being of the species in question.

Let us use the aforementioned Tang. Yes, with careful handling and acclimation by an expert, he could be placed in a 20 gallon fish only tank succesfully. But after speaking with my Yellow Tang, he thinks having a 180 gallon tank filled with rock and corals is wonderful. He can sleep in his hidey hole at night and feel secure, swim in and out of caves all day playing follow the leader with the Regal Tang tankmate. He also likes to play hide and seek with the Sunset wrasse in the liverock.

I just feel as hobbiests we owe it to the boys and girls we bring home to provide them with the best chance to be happy.

GL

Well the problem has been solved. We were in the store the other day and I showed her a Royal Gramma. She LOVED it. She could have yellow AND purple, all in one fish! ;) So Saturday I got the Gramma, and she's doing great. She's quite a greedy little pig, though :)

Who, your wife or the fish? :eek:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

They are very nice fish :)

parker313 said:
Who, your wife or the fish? :eek:

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!

They are very nice fish :)
Hahahahaha.... the Gramma :D I'd never say anything like that about my wife (and live to tell the story ;))

I do have to pick on the LFS owner about this one. I want to ask him if he ever fed that poor fish. Ever since I put her in Saturday, she has eaten like an absolute hog. My daily feeding ritual is about 6-10 pellets for the gobies twice a day.... and that will make sure enough gets to where my pistol shrimp can get some too. Well, those don't ever make it down to goby level now that the gramma is in the tank. As soon as the pellets come in, she's darting all over the place nabbing them before they can sink. Now I have to throw in part of a cube of Mysis shrimp or Cyclopeeze.... something to distract the little hog and taste better than pellets... just so the pellets can make it down to my gobies.

Good for you! you and your wife both agreed on the same fish :good: but i must ask you, do u have by any chance a sunset wrasse? i am doing a project on one and they seem really cool to me with all there colours, so i need to know about them, even though i already have alot of info on them i could always use some more. P.S if you don't have one and u r ever thinking about getting another fish u should really get one! P.P.S if you do get one and u need some info just ask! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back