Wife wants a dwarf gourami. Thoughts?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Darter217

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Currently stocked my 125 litre with 9 five banded barbs and 6 Juli Cory's, the wife has been nagging me to get something a bit more colourful and has had her eyes set on a dwarf gourami since we made a recent trip to the LFS. I don't know am awful lot about dwarf Gouramis so would appreciate some advice.

Well, dwarf gouramis are usually a very peaceful fish, they like to be at the top of the tank maybe with a few floating plants here and there. My sister has a dwarf gourami in a 20 gallon (70 litres) with 4 five banded barbs (more will be joining) and there's been no fin nipping from them. If you are to get dwarf gouramis, go with a pair since they might get territorial. Also if they end up breeding they will chase away any fish that comes near but that is normal.

But yeah, if you are to get them go with a pair. You might even have some extra room for maybe more five banded barbs or some julli corys.

By the way five banded barbs are sometimes called pentozona barbs I believe.

Well, dwarf gouramis are usually a very peaceful fish, they like to be at the top of the tank maybe with a few floating plants here and there. My sister has a dwarf gourami in a 20 gallon (70 litres) with 4 five banded barbs (more will be joining) and there's been no fin nipping from them. If you are to get dwarf gouramis, go with a pair since they might get territorial. Also if they end up breeding they will chase away any fish that comes near but that is normal.

But yeah, if you are to get them go with a pair. You might even have some extra room for maybe more five banded barbs or some julli corys.

By the way five banded barbs are sometimes called pentozona barbs I believe.

I was thinking about just getting a single dwarf gourami, I've heard horror stories about two male dwarf Gouramis being kept together.

I would always keep them in a couple, the difference in gender is most of the time quit big. They are known to get the inrido virus, because they are overbred (or at least they are in Holland). I’ve tried it a few times but they all died within a few months. But maybe you have better luck ;)

On the other hand... what do you think about thick-lipped or honey gurami? as they are a lot healthier. Croacking gurami are also another good alternative, but they are more subtle colored...

Dwarf gouramis (Colisa lalius) and all their colour varieties are riddled with diseases including Tuberculosis and the gourami Iridovirus, neither of which can be treated and have a 100% kill rate.

There are plenty of other small gouramis that don't have the same problems but before you buy anything, we need some info.

---------------------
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What other fish are in the tank?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep.
Tetras, barbs, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm).

Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies) occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH.

I would always keep them in a couple, the difference in gender is most of the time quit big. They are known to get the inrido virus, because they are overbred (or at least they are in Holland). I’ve tried it a few times but they all died within a few months. But maybe you have better luck ;)

On the other hand... what do you think about thick-lipped or honey gurami? as they are a lot healthier. Croacking gurami are also another good alternative, but they are more subtle colored...

I'm not sure my tank would he big enough for a thick lipped gourami. 125 litres.

I'm not sure my tank would he big enough for a thick lipped gourami. 125 litres.
I think a pair of thick-lipped gurami will work, Trichogaster labiosa grows to about 7/8cm. All Trichogaster (former Colisa) species would fit except Trichogaster fasciata which grows over 10cm

Female dwarves are rare to come across. So be wary with that.

However you are likely going to end up heartbroken in less than 8 months time usually as they nearly ways succumb to DGD (dwarf gourami disease, a blanket term for the myriad of diseases that affect them notoriously).

I would recommend a trio of honey gourami instead. 1 m 2 f. Theyrd much more peaceful, smaller, and way hardier.

Female dwarves are rare to come across. So be wary with that.

However you are likely going to end up heartbroken in less than 8 months time usually as they nearly ways succumb to DGD (dwarf gourami disease, a blanket term for the myriad of diseases that affect them notoriously).

I would recommend a trio of honey gourami instead. 1 m 2 f. Theyrd much more peaceful, smaller, and way hardier.

It's a shame about the dwarfs, very attractive looking fish but it's how easily diseased they are that's making me think twice about them. I'm just trying to find a good centerpiece fish.

It's a shame about the dwarfs, very attractive looking fish but it's how easily diseased they are that's making me think twice about them. I'm just trying to find a good centerpiece fish.
It is a major shame. Theyre great personable fish, I had a female for 6 months, she was very interactive and friendly and one of my favorites. Unfortunately she died of DGD, and it was a major heartbreaker for me too.

If your wife is interested in gouramis though, there are some healthier smaller options.

Honey gourami (get a trio, theyre social, 1 male to 2 females)
Sparkling gouramis (be sure they can handle being around the barbs, I'm unsure on the size of those guys, so check that first. Adult Sparkling gouramis are the size of full grown neon tetras, aim for a trio or more, same gender ratio as above)
Croaking gourami (same ratio, bigger than sparklers)

Yeh.. I just lost my dwarf gourami after about 6 months..he was doing great, then all of a sudden he stopped swimming and eating and died... probably from DGD
This is the third time I’ve lost Dwarf Gouramis within 6 months

plenty of great centerpiece fish for smaller tanks, but the best advice (As already mentioned) is to match the fish to the water parameters of your tap water. That way they have the highest likelihood of living the longest, healthiest life possible.

As mentioned, the parameters you are looking for are GH, KH and pH :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back