Why trickling noise in external filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kevfiz

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all. Just cleaned my external filter for first time. All of a sudden there is a trickling noise inside the filter. Why is this and how do I stop it?

Hi all. Just cleaned my external filter for first time. All of a sudden there is a trickling noise inside the filter. Why is this and how do I stop it?
Might have some air stuck in it still. Try prime it again, tilt the filter slightly and gently rock it back and forth if it carries on

Tried that it's worse now
Id say youve definetly got air in it. Stop it, take the lid off and make sure everything looks in place, impeller etc and the lids sealed tightly and prime it for a good while again. This happen to mine and it did stop once id got the air out

I have the same aqua one filter as you. If it is flowing ok pump the priming lever a couple of times (gently it does not feel particularly sturdy). Also as @Russjw says tilt it and rock it back and forth, as well as side to side. That was why I said to fill it in your other thread. Possibly should have been more explicit and said fill it to the brim and tap it to get as much air out as possible. Assuming it is just air it will eventually come out anyway, all you are trying to do is move the bubbles to the filters outlet hose.

It really does help to have your hoses as short as possible and running as vertically as possible. This is especially true of the inlet hose (i.e. tank to filter). If you have a high spot in there trapped air gets sucked into the filer. Then when it goes back up if it enters the inlet hose it gets trapped again and sucked back down again - so it never clears.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back