Why is this forum useful

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

heaters!!!! I don't care what anyone says..unless your house is very cold or very hot.....heaters?!?!?!?!?
most people in hot countries only have heaters for winter no AC...so in the summer when temps reach 45C around 35-40 inside the house..nobody would have fish in these countries
I have no idea where all these must have heaters idea started but I've never owned one and my fish always did fine...even back home at 45C outside..and no..I didn't have AC back then too

and then water chasers...I have a russian friend that wanted a tank...I told him..grab a 20gal..you can find them at 20 bucks...and start with freshwater...if you can manage that for 1 year
then grab whatever you want after...(he wanted a reef)
did he listen? hell no...dude went and bought a 400gal round tank!! spent almost 10k with some company to install everything...then started complaining about maintenance saying that iet became a family job on the weekends to scrub things down...then his fish started dying...he started dosing the tank with suggestions from said company...other fish started dying...eventually he sold everything at half the price he paid and never cared again about the hobby...
many times people don't listen and only take in what they think they want..and when things don't go their way they give up...
it's the same principle with kids and dogs....
a kid wants a dog...sure..you're gonna take care of it? yes yes yes!!!
so you wake him up at 6:30 every day and give him a leash....go take the leash for a 20min walk...and do this every day for a month...if he really wants that dog he'll do it!
but if he wants to sleep a little more and let the "leash" crap all over the house forget the dog xD
In New Zealand you cannot keep tropical fish without a heater/thermostat. Our outside temperature will be 1 degree C tonight, our indoor temperature will be 14-16 degrees C. My Discus won't survive without the heater/thermostat

In New Zealand you cannot keep tropical fish without a heater/thermostat. Our outside temperature will be 1 degree C tonight, our indoor temperature will be 14-16 degrees C. My Discus won't survive without the heater/thermostat
I'm pretty sure you yourself don't sleep in 1C...as even in countries like Portugal where i'm from we had oil heaters for the house...unless you keep your fish outside they should be just fine
PS: I live in Canada where temps go well below -20C during winter..doesn't mean my house is kept at those temps

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you yourself don't sleep in 1C...as even in countries like Portugal where i'm from we had oil heaters for the house...unless you keep your fish outside they should be just fine
If your house is at 14 degrees C and your tank needs to be at 28 degrees, you need a heater somewhere.

If your house is at 14 degrees C and your tank needs to be at 28 degrees, you need a heater somewhere.
then again...in canada law mandates houses specially if you have tenants to be at a minimum of 21C..i keep mine between 25 and 30C.... and around 20 in summer...
discus bred in south america specially ecuador/colombia grow in 10C temps during night/morning...30+ during daytime...so yeah...28C?!? again...myth's
no such thing as heated ponds in south america...fish are bred at environment temps and starved to save $$ on food

then again...in canada law mandates houses specially if you have tenants to be at a minimum of 21C..i keep mine between 25 and 30C.... and around 20 in summer...
discus bred in south america specially ecuador/colombia grow in 10C temps during night/morning...30+ during daytime...so yeah...28C?!? again...myth's
no such thing as heated ponds in south america...fish are bread at environment temps and starved to save $$ on food
You won't find one person in New Zealand keeping Tropical fish that doesn't have a heater/thermostat in their tank.

Ich is not everywhere. It isn't magical. It can lie dormant, but not for long. When it didn't attack my fish for 10 years, it wasn't present. Here. it always hit with chilling. It was always a winter problem.
Fish can shed the parasite in large bodies of water, none of which are home aquariums. We always buy stressed fish - getting netted, transported etc, and in winter, generally getting exposed to some cold.
Here's an anecdote. I once went to the airport to pick up a west African fish import, of about 25 large styros. We were worried because the Canadian weather had taken an unexpected turn and a cold snap had hit. The shipper had sent weeks after he was supposed to. The wonderful airline had left the pallets on the runway outdoors at -30 for several hours (the huge 'tropical fish keep warm' stickers had been ignored).
The outside boxes, the exposed ones, were frozen solid, but the boxes inside still had live fish, in icewater. We acclimated them as quickly as we could (net and drop into warm water) and almost all of those fish survived. We watched for ich, and never saw it. In the weeks we QTed those fish to bring them around, not one got ich, even the notorious 'ich magnets' Microctenopoma. Ich wasn't present to take advantage, in either the water of the wild caught fish or in the well maintained importing installation..
You can go online and hit some pdfs that detail the life cycle of ich, and you'll see it isn't present everywhere. You'll also see it isn't the only parasite to cause white cysts in aquarium fish, which may shine a light on this discussion.

As for heaters, what heat you need depends on the fish. My killies like 20c, so no heaters. My tetras like 25, so heaters. I just make sure I only have one tank of tetras. Later this month when I try to breed those tetras, I'll use heaters. I have to adapt my set up to my fish, and not make them adapt to me. I get up in the morning to take my old dog out, and I don't try to grow tomatoes out back in December.

heaters!!!! I don't care what anyone says..unless your house is very cold or very hot.....heaters?!?!?!?!?
None of my indoor and outdoor tanks have a heater. I'm doing this for over 4 decades already. They do well at room temperature. But of course, it depends on the needs of those fish kept and the temperature of the environment.

Again, what fish do you keep? I use no heaters with my livebearers or killies. I do have a room, well insulated, that stays above 20c for them. But if I go for Savannah killies, where the sun gets to the water, or fish from warm water, I adapt.

20 neon tetras +-, 2 hillstream loaches, about 6+6 oto's and habrosus cory, 5 l46 zebra plecos, 2 dwarf puffers, 6 rasbora, 3 amano shrimp, a few red neo shrimp and a few crystal black shrimp
my house is kept at 25-30C in the winter and around 20C in the summer
to me heaters is the misconception that south-america is super hot all year round...if anybody has been to south-america to places like ecuador or colombia where lots of tropical fish are bred
people will simply say..the coast is very hot but outside of it it's like you have all seasons in a single day...cold during night very hot during day and rain rain rain
so you're looking at 10-15C during night time and 30+ during day time...so there's no fish there that are bred at a constant 28C as they're mostly raised in ponds nearby rivers for overflows..
my issue with that is when you go to stores...they have thrown this so much at people for literally every tropical fish out there that people automatically think...
my fish needs a heater or it's going to die....specially "chasers" will go nuts over this putting double heaters in case 1 breaks down....
most people in north america specially us/canada have central heating for winter and keep their homes at around 21..a little more a little less...depends on the person I guess...
AC in summer not everyone has it...I'd get having an AC in a fish room for the summer to keep them cool but tank heaters?!?!?!?
most tropical fish spawn with rain which means a change in ph and lower temps...so heaters again go out the window....
each to their own..but me personally I believe it's just an item to make $$ on specially in north-america

Last edited:
20 neon tetras +-, 2 hillstream loaches, about 6+6 oto's and habrosus cory, 5 l46 zebra plecos, 2 dwarf puffers, 6 rasbora, 3 amano shrimp, a few red neo shrimp and a few crystal black shrimp
my house is kept at 25-30C in the winter and around 20C in the summer
to me heaters is the misconception that south-america is super hot all year round...if anybody has been to south-america to places like ecuador or colombia where lots of tropical fish are bred
people will simply say..the coast is very hot but outside of it it's like you have all seasons in a single day...cold during night very hot during day and rain rain rain
so you're looking at 10-15C during night time and 30+ during day time...so there's no fish there that are bred at a constant 28C as they're mostly raised in ponds nearby rivers for overflows..
my issue with that is when you go to stores...they have thrown this so much at people for literally every tropical fish out there that people automatically think...
my fish needs a heater or it's going to die....specially "chasers" will go nuts over this putting double heaters in case 1 breaks down....
most people in north america specially us/canada have central heating for winter and keep their homes at around 21..a little more a little less...depends on the person I guess...
AC in summer not everyone has it...I'd get having an AC in a fish room for the summer to keep them cool but tank heaters?!?!?!?
most tropical fish spawn with rain which means a change in ph and lower temps...so heaters again go out the window....
each to their own..but me personally I believe it's just an item to make $$ on specially in north-america
I would love to see how long my Discus would last if I took the heater out of the tank. It must be doing something because it costs forty dollars a month in electricity to keep the tank running. The heater only comes on when it is needed and is a safeguard as far as I am concerned.

I would love to see how long my Discus would last if I took the heater out of the tank. It must be doing something because it costs forty dollars a month in electricity to keep the tank running. The heater only comes on when it is needed and is a safeguard as far as I am concerned.
at 14C all day I wouldn't try it...but if you really wanna mimick their environment you could try 28C during day time and 20C night time and they should be fine and be somewhat closer to what they have in nature
but then comes a simple question...at 40 bucks a month for a single heater...wouldn't it be better raise the central heating and this way it'd be warm enough for me to even visit? XD

Last edited:
There is a lot more to ich than what is in this thread. Fish which get ich and recover develop an immunity to it. The question is how long it lasts. But the fact that this is the case has led to research into developing a vaccine against ich. It is important to understand that ich is more of a threat to aquaculture, both for food and ornamentals, than it is for individual tanks or hobbyists.

Xu, D.H., Zhang, D., Shoemaker, C. and Beck, B., 2020. Dose effects of a DNA vaccine encoding immobilization antigen on immune response of channel catfish against Ichthyophthirius multifiliis. Fish & Shellfish Immunology, 106, pp.1031-1041.

Highlights​

• Vaccinated fish showed higher anti-Ich antibody and survival than control fish.
• Fish had higher vaccine DNA expression when vaccinated 20 μg than 10 μg per fish.
• Fish had higher survival when received 20 μg DNA vaccine than 10 μg per fish.
• Fish vaccinated with DNA vaccines increased immune gene expression.

Buchmann, K., 2020. Immune response to Ichthyophthirius multifiliis and role of IgT. Parasite immunology, 42(8), p.e12675.

Abstract​

The parasitic ciliate Ichthyophthirius multifiliis causes white spot disease in freshwater fish worldwide. The theront penetrates external surfaces of the naïve fish where it develops into the feeding trophont stage and elicits a protective immune response both at the affected site as well as at the systemic level. The present work compiles data and presents an overall model of the protective reactions induced. A wide spectrum of inflammatory reactions are established upon invasion but the specific protection is provided by adaptive factors. Immunoglobulin IgT is involved in protection of surfaces in several fish species and is thereby one of the first adaptive immune molecules reacting with the penetrating theront. IgT producing lymphocytes occur in epithelia, dispersed or associated with lymphoid cell aggregations (skin epidermis, fins, gills, nostrils and buccal cavities) but they are also present in central immune organs such as the head kidney, spleen and liver. When theronts invade immunized fish skin, they are encountered by host factors which opsonize the parasite and may result in complement activation, phagocytosis or cell-mediated killing. However, antibody (IgT, IgM and IgD) binding to parasite cilia has been suggested to alter parasite behaviour and induce an escape reaction, whereby specific IgT (or other classes of immunoglobulin in fish surfaces) takes a central role in protection against the parasite.
This is a pretty interesting paper folks might want to skim though https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/pim.12675

The forum is useful for me because I’m impulsive and lazy , if I ask a question it’s partly reassurance if I’m honest the question I ask I already know the answer to in a way , I like to see how generations differ in the hobby ,old school is just practical new school is theory . We all can use google where facts are presented but I’d much rather ask a question and see how many people are like minded
All humans need reassurance

Water temperatures don't change as rapidly as air temperatures. So whilst the air temperature might drop to 10C at night in South America, the water temperature will remain fairly constant.

The Amazon River contains millions of litres of water and that is not going to fluctuate overnight. At the surface it might drop 1 or 2 degrees overnight but certainly isn't going to drop 10 degrees.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back