Why is my Anubias dying?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ryan_F

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™ve had this plant for a few weeks now. And itā€™s started to get these black spots with yellow around them. Any ideas on what I can do? Cheers
d41d4012361e909cbe37e4a2a64376ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The leaves overall look pretty healthy. Do you have any algae eaters in the tank such as a Pleco or Ottos? It could be that they are causing those brown areas as they eat algae off the leaves.

The leaves overall look pretty healthy. Do you have any algae eaters in the tank such as a Pleco or Ottos? It could be that they are causing those brown areas as they eat algae off the leaves.

No, but I am assuming it must be my snail infestation. So, you think it should be alright?

do you add any ferts...I use Seachem flourish comprehensive. Anubias don't need a lot of light as they are slow growers. What size tank do you have and what kind of lighting?

Anubias are marsh plants that never do well when completely submerged underwater. Their leaves get smaller and the plants suffer. They should be kept in a pot on the window sill and looked after like a normal garden plant.

do you add any ferts...I use Seachem flourish comprehensive. Anubias don't need a lot of light as they are slow growers. What size tank do you have and what kind of lighting?

Yes I do. It is some type of seachem one. Iā€™m assuming it would be the same. The tank is 10gal. Not sure what light it is but I think itā€™s bright

Do you have it planted in the gravel? If you do, I would suggest taking it out of the gravel and tying it down to something instead. Anubias temds to die if the roots are not exposed.
You could tie it down to a rock, some driftwood, or another decoration. You could even tie it to a shard from a broken clay pot. Just remeber to sand it down first and soak it for a few days before boiling it and putting it in your tank.
Clay is really good for your fish too, so you should put some in anyway. ^_^

Do you have it planted in the gravel? If you do, I would suggest taking it out of the gravel and tying it down to something instead. Anubias temds to die if the roots are not exposed.
You could tie it down to a rock, some driftwood, or another decoration. You could even tie it to a shard from a broken clay pot. Just remeber to sand it down first and soak it for a few days before boiling it and putting it in your tank.
Clay is really good for your fish too, so you should put some in anyway. ^_^

Iā€™ve got it attached to a rock atm. The only things I can think of are too much light or the snails

Yes, you're probably right. You could try moving the plant to a shadier area, and if nothing changes, then you'll know that it's your snails.

Yes, you're probably right. You could try moving the plant to a shadier area, and if nothing changes, then you'll know that it's your snails.

Also, I know itā€™s probably hard to identify but does anyone know what type of snail these are? Itā€™s hard to photograph but they are like a orange/yellow shell with black markings on the shell. Iā€™ll show a photo but itā€™s hard to see
9b1b3fbfd9e98d9c5a333035c9e5105d.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back