Why Does My Puffer Squirt Water?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Puncture.uk

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering why my Puffer likes to squirt water as I approach to feed him?? Is he playing?

Sam

Acherfishes are most famous for this behaviour but as you have discovered other fish can perform it as well. I'm not quite sure why they do it but I would imagine it's a feeding response.

...it's almost as if he is playing with me - I flick water back at him and squirts again! Is it common for Puffers to do this?

Sam

Hi Sam,
I agree with Lynden, it could be a feeding response. My Clown Trigger squirts water at me every time i go near ! he is always expecting food .
It is worth mentioning that Puffers and Triggers feed on very simmilar food in the wild, and they tend to "BLOW" over their prey with jets of water to expose the soft underbelly. :cake:

Hi Sam,
I agree with Lynden, it could be a feeding response. My Clown Trigger squirts water at me every time i go near ! he is always expecting food .
It is worth mentioning that Puffers and Triggers feed on very simmilar food in the wild, and they tend to "BLOW" over their prey with jets of water to expose the soft underbelly. :cake:

I believe, but could be wrong, that triggers and puffers (and a few other fish as well) are actually related or otherwise very similar (Tetraodontiformes)...which could account for the similar behavior. When I started out in saltwater, shortly after keeping the usual suspects (damsels/clownfish), I had a Porcupine Puffer who would at least try to 'spit' at us when we were watching TV (the canopy kept the water in the tank), or if we were not paying enough attention to it...but I don't really remember thinking that it was associated with feeding time or it being hungry. I have heard that many hobbyists refer to puffers as being 'man's best friend' of saltwater fish because of their huge personalities...much like the personalities of a dog (like some might refer to as Oscars being the same in FW fish). That said, perhaps your fish is just showing you happy it is to be in your house!!!! :p

Yes. Triggers, Boxfish, Diodonts (porc "puffers"), Triodonts, Filefish, Molas, and Puffers all exist in the same order, Tetradontiformes. Which is why I refer to them collectively as 'tetraodonts'.

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. The Puffer family seems to be very intelligent. My three GSP (currently in FW but moving to BW) are all extrememly tame but have not 'squirted' me yet. They do however beg in a dog-like fashion (paddle at a near-vertical position) and feed from my hand.

One final question...

Are Arothron Hispidus commonly known as Stars & Stripes Puffer?

Cheers, Sam

Hi sam,
Yes you are correct, your Arothron is also known as the "Stars and stripes". Also called the "Hispid" Puffer, and "Dog face Puffer".

Hope this helps, :good:

Hi sam,
Yes you are correct, your Arothron is also known as the "Stars and stripes". Also called the "Hispid" Puffer, and "Dog face Puffer".

Ah, great! - From what I have been told by 3 of my LFS they are quite a rarity in our neck of the woods. A bargain for £12! :good:

I am hand-feeding him on frozen (and thawed) mussels and unshelled cockle. I also throw in shelled cockles after splitting the 'seal' on the shell but he does not seem as keen... I would have thought he'd be eager to break them open? Does anyone have any tips on keeping his beak in order? His previous keeper never fed him shelled foods so he has some mean-looking 'teeth'. I'm starting to wonder if he knows what to do with them...?

Sam :)

Hi sam,

Ah, great! - From what I have been told by 3 of my LFS they are quite a rarity in our neck of the woods. A bargain for £12! :good:

I am hand-feeding him on frozen (and thawed) mussels and unshelled cockle. I also throw in shelled cockles after splitting the 'seal' on the shell but he does not seem as keen... I would have thought he'd be eager to break them open? Does anyone have any tips on keeping his beak in order? His previous keeper never fed him shelled foods so he has some mean-looking 'teeth'. I'm starting to wonder if he knows what to do with them...?

Sam :)

We hang the cockle from the top of the tank on a loop of tough cotton which passes through the two halves of the shell. This leaves enough of a gap to give ours a taste of what's inside and he spends half an hour pecking away at it. If we just put them on the bottom he doesn't seem at all interested. Might be worth a try.

Cheers

R

Hi all,

I was wondering why my Puffer likes to squirt water as I approach to feed him?? Is he playing?

Sam
My dog faced puffer does this too! He has squirted my hubby in the eye when he has been feeding him. A bit annoying when the plugs are at the side of the tank. Quite a character really!
Gaynor

...it's almost as if he is playing with me - I flick water back at him and squirts again! Is it common for Puffers to do this?

Sam

It sounds pretty normal, puffers do all sorts of nifty playful stuff with their owners. But...that is friggin awesome :D I want a panda bear puffer to bounce a beach ball with :)

Most reactions

Back