Why do people do this to fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schools are Federal buildings in the US?

Therefore they come under the jurisdiction of Federal authorities. Just reporting the issue to the local SPCA will be sufficient, it can be done anonymously if afraid of retribution. All reports of animal cruelty are actioned whether reported to Animal Services or animal welfare charities such as SPCA

I have worked alongside both animal services attached to the local authorities and police and have worked alongside animal welfare charities in cases of animal abuse. They get anonymous reports all the time and they action it by a visit to check if the report is correct and if it is the individual is given guidance with a time limit to sort it out. The primary duty of these organisations is to educate those who are not caring for their pets properly, only if that fails then it will go towards court and a seizure order for not just the animal in question but all animals that are owned.

It's actually surprisingly commonplace that these checks on a minor animal issue can expose issues of the human kind such as poor living conditions and financial struggles where social care is then alerted and the individual is approached and their own welfare is dealt with alongside the animals.

I always suggest those people with doubts about reporting animal cruelty of any sort to go and volunteer for an animal welfare charity like the SPCA cos it is frightening to think that one badly treated animal...whether it be a fish or hamster or a dog or horse...can frequently open Pandora's box and expose a host of problems such as the owner struggling with their own life and living conditions on top of their animals living conditions

This teacher might look very smartly dressed and be highly intelligent and educated in their chosen field.....that doesn't mean that they have no issues at home or with themselves or are not coping with life and their animals as well as they appear to be superficially.

Reporting anonymously to animal welfare charities saves not just the animals but it can also lead to their human owners getting the help they need too

As long as humans slaughter 1200 Pilotwhales at the Faroer Islands each year for nothing because it is "culture" really no human behaviour / cruelty to animals surprises me.

Civilized ???? Yeah right.

@wasmewasntit
And again, you seem to miss the point. Reports of this nature WILL NOT BE ADDRESSED OR PAID ATTENTION TO. The federal government does NOT CARE about fish. Like at all. Period. And they do not need to and never will.There are so many more issues they have their hands full with. We do not need to divert their attention with some reports of a betta in a too small tank! Please get real here.

This is the FIRST LINE of the animal cruelty laws/statute in my state...

"Under the statute, "animal" does not include any fish or any pest that might be exterminated or removed."

As you can see, ALL fish are specifically excluded from ANY form of protection within the law PERIOD. Making a report is pointless and an utter WASTE OF TIME. They cannot investigate and will not. And even states with protection of fish are not going to be bothered with this for the most part. Animal welfare agencies have ZERO legal authority, as well.

So again you live in a different type of environment where issues that are considered trivial by many would actually be addressed. Again it must be nice, but for most people... legal reports of this nature are just a joke and a fleeting illusion. Just being honest.

I'm just going to say that and leave it there. There is no real debate here as clearly we don't come from the same type of environment or country or anything like that.

I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread, folks. It's a sad situation, and I think everyone has had their say, and it's just turning into a pointless fight. Different countries have different laws, and what works in the UK might not work in the USA, and vice-versa.

I appreciate everyone's passion for animal welfare. Let's put our energy into helping people that want help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back