Why Do I Have Ammonia And Nitrites?

love_fish

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
822
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New York
Hello, I want to know why i have ammonia and nitrites. Ammonia is at .50 and nitrite is at .30. I have no clue how it happened. The only reason i can think of is the maracyn i was using to treat columnaris disrupted my filter bacteria. Is this it? I did a fishless cycle, added my fish, tested for everything for the next week to make sure no mini cycle, that was ok. Then, in a few weeks time, i had columnaris, treated, everyone survived. Got a little curious today, which is 2 days after columnaris went away, tested the water and found these conditions. Did a water change, didnt seem to do anything. Is it the maracyn that made this happen? I put an old filter cartridge in there with tons of good bacteria on it, hopefully itll work quickly to make the tank suitable again.

So, was it the maracyn, or something else?
 
I didn't think Maracyn was supposed to have any effect on the bacteria colony but I'm not certain about that. If you have finished treating though and haven't already done it, add some carbon to the filter to remove the rest of the medication from the water. Run the carbon for about a week and then remove it.
 
you may have a dead fish or uneatern food in the tank some were

do another water change and gravel clean under all the rocks and drift wood
 
Nope, no dead fish anywhere. I added my carbon back after i took it out. I checked my parameters this morning, and the ammonia went down to .25 and the nitrites are at 0. I'll do another gravel vac to get rid of any uneaten food or something, thats prolly what it is. I can't think of anything else it could be. Did my fish get ammonia/nitrite poisoning now to the exposure of it? Or was it not enough and not long enough for them to be affectec by it?
 
They should be ok or you would of noticed these symtoms, not the writer of this information below.
Ammonia Poisoning



Symptoms:

The fish will hang just under the surface with labored breathing. Its gills will appear to be lilac in color. Red streaking may be seen throughout the body and fins. Fishes with ammonia poisoning will become lethargic and eventually die, maintaining their full coloring. The ammonia will damage their skin, gills, nerves and internal organs. The red streaking is due to hemorrhages (internal and external bleeding). Its mucous membranes of the skin and intestine are also destroyed. Damage also occurs to the brain and central nervous system.



Cause:

Abnormally high levels of ammonia.



Treatment:

Test the water to confirm the disease. If ammonia levels are high, perform an immediate water change. It’s also a good idea to use a chemical that will remove the ammonia. Activated carbon, Ammo-Lock, or Tetra Easy Balance.
 
^^What? Did you mean my nitrates migt be high. I have many plants in there, and i do weekly water changes so i doubt its high.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top