Why Did My Pleco Die?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fullmoonnight

Reaction score
A month or two ago I was given a 6" pleco from an old couple because he had outgrown his tank. When I went to pick him up I noticed there was a dead gourami lying on the bottom of the tank. The owners didn't even notice till they netted out my Pleco (who, by the way, was very strong and lively so I'm sure their tank had nothing to do with this). I've had no problems with him until I noticed that he had become considerably pale and sluggish since yesterday. I figured the lettuce was not enough for him to eat so I went out and got some algae wafers. I tried to give it to him but the other fish got to it right away. So I tried to feed him again this morning but he was even more unresponsive. The algae wafer landed on his head and he ignored it so I took him out and isolated him with some food before going to my exam (I even pushed the food right under his mouth). When I got home he was already lying sideways, tail bent, unable to flip himself back over. I added some aquarium salt and melafix to the isolation tank and he seemed to improve for a little bit (He could almost suck on the side thought he kept slipping sideways) but now he's become completely unresponsive and belly up so I assume he's dead. Can anyone help me out as to why? I have another pleco who is about the same age (different sizes though, mine is smaller and very black and lively) the two of them ignore each other so there's not aggression going on. The rest of the fish in the tank are fine including the other smaller pleco.

My 10 year old brother is going to be disappointed he was really hoping that the little guy would pull through as I've managed to save other fish who were more likely to kick the can than this pleco. In his final hours my lil bro decided he would name him "Rocky" ( not sure if that was suitable given the circumstances.) in hopes that Rocky would feel more loved and feel inclined to fight for his life....unfortunately, that was apparently not enough...

It sounds like there was more to that pleco than you expected, If you saw a dead fish in the fish tank then there was something wrong with the water. Having a dead fish in the tank for god knows how long will effect the water and so it could have been the cause of death. It's very hard to tell since you didn't really have him for long, The shock of being moved to a different tank could have also been added to it.

It sounds like there was more to that pleco than you expected, If you saw a dead fish in the fish tank then there was something wrong with the water. Having a dead fish in the tank for god knows how long will effect the water and so it could have been the cause of death. It's very hard to tell since you didn't really have him for long, The shock of being moved to a different tank could have also been added to it.
Thedead fish looked pretty fresh. I would say it died a little before I came over aa the owner didn't even notice. Can he still have trouble from the llast owner from two months ago? Does it take that long to show symptoms? :( It might have been bettee if I let him go peacefully in the tank rather than move him.

can you tell us the tank size, other tank mates, water stats, last water change?

can you tell us the tank size, other tank mates, water stats, last water change?

40g long, one other pleco and goldfish, can't recall but it was just a tad bit high in ammonia, last Saturday so I was a day or two overdue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back