Why attempt cycling without plants?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Chief Brody

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
... especially for beginners, I understand that breeders and such may prefer bare-bottom and airline only set-ups but as a beginner it's so much easier to establish a tank with simple plants like moss or pothos or even floating plants like duckweed/frogbit. A "beginner" shouldn't be discouraged with the chemistry involved in cycling a tank and end up giving up on the hobby. These fish need homes and it's really not rocket science. I think it's important to reach children and get them started early to gain the confidence needed to stay in the hobby for life. It's cheaper, it's easier, it's healthier for the animals. Please encourage planted tanks for beginners

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk

No one is 'discouraging' cycling with plants per se.

Not every beginner wants plants, nor knows which plants are appropriate to purchase to aid a cycle versus actually cause more trouble than they are worth. (for example, adding the wrong plants leads them to just die and actually adds extra ammonia rather than using it)

Members here have always tried to help new folks with cycles for as long as I've been coming here. Having an 'article' with simple instructions and simple explanations just cuts down some of the ambiguity. Ultimately, when plants are added, it does complicate the cycle a bit for the newbie and leads to more complicated issues for folks to help with.

Cycling without plants leads to a very predictable expected result... and when the results vary from that, troubleshooting is a bit more streamline.

Ultimately, all we can ever do is recommend. Each has to make their own choices.

Do you have a tank log? Brady?

Aqua oak tanks 4'x2'x2' & 5'x2'x2' both freshwater set up on apex Neptune systems.
Mortgage & Protection Adviser Full Time,
Peace

Most reactions

Back