🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CaptainBarnicles

Moderate Pleco Tolerator
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to put this so mods please relocate if need be.

I see so many people stressing about algae growth and creating so many unnecessary issues in their tanks because they're adding copious amounts of who-knows-what to their water to try and get rid of it.

For the new and inexperienced fishkeeper, please understand that algae is a part of having a fishtank! It is completely normal and healthy to see some algae in any aquarium and it's not anything to freak out about. A lot of us just scrape down the front of the tank and leave the rest, it's easy to do and takes no time at all fitting in with our weekly maintenance. No added chemicals needed!!

Of course there are some awful algae that no one wants in their tank, black beard being the perfect example, and the cyanobacteria we all loath (not a true algae) that can cause problems. Algae growth is also a great indicator for what's going on in the tank where balance is concerned. If you're getting great amounts that is getting out of control, you know there's an issue somewhere that needs rectifying, be it too much light or nutrients...even deficiency in some cases.

I used to get down about the algae that grew in my tank, but after learning more about plants I've managed to find a good balance and have minimal amounts growing now that I have happily accepted and learned to love. Its gives a wonderfully natural look and environment for my fish to enjoy!

If this has already been said somewhere, my apologies, I've not trawled the forums to check! Delete if need be, but just wanted to express my 2 cents...

Mostly because we like the look of pristine aquariums, not the more natural habitats which would have algae. It’s all about looks.

When we start out, I think most of us want a pristine tank - neat and clean lines that show control. Then, in time, we learn we're in a hobby where fish, plants and algae do what they want, and we only influence or destroy, but we can't control.
There, you either quit the hobby, or adapt and learn to live with algae.
In time, you get to know algae, as a farmer probably knows weeds. It says a lot. When I moved early this year, I discovered very little of the algae that came with me liked the water here, and there was a turnover in species. I hadn't realized how much I saw in algae, in terms of what it told me was going on in tanks. Back to school I go...
I like algae. Scrape the front glass, and it will tell you if you're overfeeding, if your filters need cleaning, if there are dead spots in the tank - it's a free test kit.

I used to get in trouble from my boss for not wiping the algae off the back of the shop tanks. Boss said he wanted it all gone. I said the fish feel happier with it because there is no picture on the back of the tanks, and the bristlenose like eating it. Boss got us to empty each tank and paint the backs. Then we had to make sure there was no algae on the back. :)

I used to let algae grow on the back and sides and simply wiped the front down each week during the water changes. My tanks were practical more than show but they still looked nice with the algae on the back.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back