Why are my moss balls stringing out?

Anthony2020

Reaction score
Hi there. For the past 2 months ive been haveing this problem where my moss balls are stringing out all over my tank and growing around my plants. The stringy green stuff as far as i cam see only originates from the moss ball. Is this normal? I have been having to cut it back regularly and i do make sure to turn them over often for normal growth. Is there any other way to prevent this? (edit) i have had moss balls before in a previous tank and this problem was not present.

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_120939.jpg
    IMG_20210414_120939.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Are you sure its not algae growing on the moss ball rather than the actual moss ball its self? If so, I assume it would be a case of treating the algae. I'm pretty new to fish keeping but have been doing a LOT of algae research over the last few days to try and work out what some of mine is.

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
It's normal, and the reason I no longer keep them....I hate that messy stuff

OP
OP
A

Anthony2020

Reaction score
Are you sure its not algae growing on the moss ball rather than the actual moss ball its self? If so, I assume it would be a case of treating the algae. I'm pretty new to fish keeping but have been doing a LOT of algae research over the last few days to try and work out what some of mine is.
I will try to pull the string off them completely and see what happens.

Sgooosh

Fish Connoisseur
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
that shouldnt happen if you have the natural farmed/wild ones rather than the man made ones, dont treat it of algae, because it is algae and might kill it

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Check out the pic of the 2 girls, didn't know they got this big in the wild

Sgooosh

Fish Connoisseur
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
Check out the pic of the 2 girls, didn't know they got this big in the wild

a kid on reddit says that they found a gigantic mossball in the ocean and put it in his freshwater tank, it did not die

Slaphppy7

Mod Squaderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
a kid on reddit says that they found a gigantic mossball in the ocean and put it in his freshwater tank, it did not die
I doubt that very seriously, but hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true, lol

Sgooosh

Fish Connoisseur
Fish of the Month!
Reaction score
I doubt that very seriously, but hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true, lol
ahahahaa, there was a photo. it was smaller than the one with the 2 children but idk, he updated a lot, seemed a bit trustable

Br@in

Reaction score
This is so interesting, mine don’t do this. I pick mine up and massage them into a ball when I feel like they need a haircut so to speak. But usually mine never grow quite like that. That’s so fascinating.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online