Why are my moss balls stringing out?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Anthony2020

Reaction score
Hi there. For the past 2 months ive been haveing this problem where my moss balls are stringing out all over my tank and growing around my plants. The stringy green stuff as far as i cam see only originates from the moss ball. Is this normal? I have been having to cut it back regularly and i do make sure to turn them over often for normal growth. Is there any other way to prevent this? (edit) i have had moss balls before in a previous tank and this problem was not present.

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_120939.jpg
    IMG_20210414_120939.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Are you sure its not algae growing on the moss ball rather than the actual moss ball its self? If so, I assume it would be a case of treating the algae. I'm pretty new to fish keeping but have been doing a LOT of algae research over the last few days to try and work out what some of mine is.

It's normal, and the reason I no longer keep them....I hate that messy stuff

Are you sure its not algae growing on the moss ball rather than the actual moss ball its self? If so, I assume it would be a case of treating the algae. I'm pretty new to fish keeping but have been doing a LOT of algae research over the last few days to try and work out what some of mine is.
I will try to pull the string off them completely and see what happens.

that shouldnt happen if you have the natural farmed/wild ones rather than the man made ones, dont treat it of algae, because it is algae and might kill it

Check out the pic of the 2 girls, didn't know they got this big in the wild

Check out the pic of the 2 girls, didn't know they got this big in the wild

a kid on reddit says that they found a gigantic mossball in the ocean and put it in his freshwater tank, it did not die

a kid on reddit says that they found a gigantic mossball in the ocean and put it in his freshwater tank, it did not die
I doubt that very seriously, but hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true, lol

I doubt that very seriously, but hey, if it's on the internet, it must be true, lol
ahahahaa, there was a photo. it was smaller than the one with the 2 children but idk, he updated a lot, seemed a bit trustable

This is so interesting, mine don’t do this. I pick mine up and massage them into a ball when I feel like they need a haircut so to speak. But usually mine never grow quite like that. That’s so fascinating.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back