Why are all my male goldfish chasing my female goldfish everyday?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Bubble the Guppy

Reaction score
Hi!
6 day ago i bought 4 goldfish, 3 male and 1 female is albino golfish so i can see in her belly but one day all my male goldfish started to chase the female then she lay some eggs. After the all the egg were transported into fry tank and all the eggs in my female belly are gone, But after a day later all the male goldfishs started to chase the female again, who's not pregent anymore and they chased her for a whole day!!!! i was worried if that might make the female stress so i remove the female to a brand new tank and after 3 day i return the female, everything was fine that day But later they started to do the same things.

i was worried about that, what is happening? why are my male wanted to mate/breed with the female soo bad?

Hi!
6 day ago i bought 4 goldfish, 3 male and 1 female is albino golfish so i can see in her belly but one day all my male goldfish started to chase the female then she lay some eggs. After the all the egg were transported into fry tank and all the eggs in my female belly are gone, But after a day later all the male goldfishs started to chase the female again, who's not pregent anymore and they chased her for a whole day!!!! i was worried if that might make the female stress so i remove the female to a brand new tank and after 3 day i return the female, everything was fine that day But later they started to do the same things.

i was worried about that, what is happening? why are my male wanted to mate/breed with the female soo bad?
Probably because there is only 1 female and more males

Itrmust be breeding season/Spring where you are.

Male goldfish know when a female is carrying eggs. That will trigger those males to chase the female around to force her to lay her eggs. It's just nature...

Are your goldfish comets or fancy? A 40 gallon might be big enough for a single fancy goldfish, which stay smaller and aren't as active. For a group I recommend a 75 gallon.

Comet goldfish are actually pond fish. They grow very big, are very active, eat a lot, and produce a lot of waste. For a single fish, a 55 gallon would be the absolute minimum; a 75 would be better. For a group, I think you would need at least a 150 gallon.

They are comets!
Two of the males are 11 cm long, they are twins and both 3 year.
The female and the last male are only 7 cm long, they are only 2 and a half year.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back