Whoops!

sarahw20000

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I've got a 2gallon vase that i had a betta in but he's moved coz it didn't look too good with the wire hanging out from the heater.

So i thought a goldfish might be good and i'd heard of people keeping them in bowls so i thought he'd be ok

Just read a bit on this forum and realised my mistake, how long have i got before he'll be too big for the vase or is it already past that stage?

He's a 1.5 inch (including tail) fancy goldfish (not bubble eye or bulgy head one)

I know this isn't an excuse but the guy in the lfs said he would only grow to his environment so he'd be fine in my vase. :/

I would move him ASAP, do you have an airstone running in there? Goldfish need oxygen in their water because they aren't like bettas who breath from the surface.
If you can't get a proper tank for him at the moment, put him in a tupperware container with lost of surface area (the biggest you can get) and buy an airpump, airline tubing and an airstone and hook that up so he has some oxygen. Feed him every 2nd day to keep waste down, and make sure to do losts of water changes (every day would be best).

Please try to find atleast a 2nd hand tank or something of atleast 10 gallons, 20 gallon is better (if you go with 10 gallons you will have to upgrade him later but it would do for now). Make sure you have extra fileration because goldfish are VERY messy.

Oh, and don't trust any fishstore employee. Check here first or find out youself on the internet before following their advice. A fish will not grow to its inviroment. So if you stick a oscar in a tank with a 6" length them obvousily the oscar won't grow to its normal size but its livespan will be greatly shortened and some say (I don't know if I agree with this or not) that their organs will keep growing and they will push agaisn't each other the fish will die a painful death.

Theres an undergravel filter with an airstone and the surface area is quite large considering it's a vase (10 square inches)

Oh yeah and when i got him home and had a proper look he's got whitespot too so i've started treating him with King British WS3

Well if he has filteration and such then you can keep him in there no longer then a few months because goldfish grow quickly.

Hope he gets over that whitespot! Good luck.

the guy in the lfs said he would only grow to his environment so he'd be fine in my vase

i rest my case re LFS owners :angry: :angry: :angry:

a few months is too long the fish should be in a tank,a vase is for flowers

you should go back to your LFS and tell him he/she should cease trading

I took him back to the lfs coz i've got nowhere else to keep him and told them off for telling me wrong info, told the manager aswell so hopefully the staff might be corrected.

well done.

you have made the right desision and saved him from a life of misery.

Good for you for having the courage to do that! :thumbs: The fish will be a lot happier now (as long as it doesn't end up in another small tank...which will probably happen...but why dwell on the negative... :S LoL)

First off, yes, thank you for saving a fish's life. Second off, the was an easier option. At, dare I say, Walmart, they sell 55 gallon starter tanks for 150 american dollars. I know it seems like a lot, but it's quite cheap for a 55 gallon.

Most reactions

Back