Who"s Scared Of Snails

^ that reminds me, every time my "pest" snails are on the glass and i turn the light on, half of them fall off, i think it's funny! How can i control my snail issues?
They are nocturnal which is why they rain down when the lights turn on I also have revolving gravel. I've tried to control them through various methods the only one I had much luck with was trying to out compete them with cherry shrimp :lol: . With 200 cherries in a 20 gal I saw a pretty big decrease in the # of snails, I think their where *only* a thousand.

200 shrimp in a 20g?? wow! lol I have tons of MTS and also the 'revolving gravel' lol

I was thinking about getting some shrimp but don't know if my fish would bother/eat them :unsure:
 
^ that reminds me, every time my "pest" snails are on the glass and i turn the light on, half of them fall off, i think it's funny! How can i control my snail issues?
They are nocturnal which is why they rain down when the lights turn on I also have revolving gravel. I've tried to control them through various methods the only one I had much luck with was trying to out compete them with cherry shrimp :lol: . With 200 cherries in a 20 gal I saw a pretty big decrease in the # of snails, I think their where *only* a thousand.

200 shrimp in a 20g?? wow! lol I have tons of MTS and also the 'revolving gravel' lol

I was thinking about getting some shrimp but don't know if my fish would bother/eat them :unsure:
It depends on the fish, but adults are normally safe but young shrimplets tend to get eaten a lot. My population doesn't increase when I have fish in the tank, but when I let the tank sit fishless for about 7 weeks w/ just the shrimps and snails, my shrimp population increased from 20 to 200 :rolleyes:. I had to start feeding them :lol:. I've added fish back to the tank and brought the shrimp population back down to about 50. I should shoot a little video someday, cuz a bunch of MTS all falling in unison is a very strange thing to watch IMO. But this was a norm for feeding time when I had all the shrimp w/ that being only about 1/4 of the shrimpV
shrimpbettta022.jpg


Also Wilder what about the snails freaks you out?

I hated my MTS at first and did everything I could to get rid of them. But then I ran out of hate and I stopped trying to kill them. Sometimes the hate comes back and I sqoosh a few of them and lower their numbers by .003% :D .
 
I love molluscs. :D

But then again, I love most spineless creatures.

Snails are actually a good addition to the tank, after the initial population explosion. If you don't overfeed they'll keep the tank clean and algae free. The reason they reach pest levels is all the accumulated things they can eat when they're introduced at first. Eventually they die back and reach a manageable level.
 
mine don't take care of algae :(
I don't mind them too much because they only come out in the dark

but I have never seen the snail rain! mine don't do it

ah well, I think this weekend I will try to take a go at the shrimp... I'll start with ghosts first to see if they can live in peace!

I love mystery snails... but mine all died :( I had some really cool purple ones too that were so awesome!
 
I like apple snails, because they're so big you can see them in detail and they're so interesting! :) Haha, I set up my spare 3 gal as an apple snail tank. It turned out being my favourite tank to watch!
 
Sure PM me if you want some or if you ever come up to Wisconsin. If your really ambitious theres a fish show April 26-27 :hyper: in Fridley Minnesota, about 40 min from where I live. It just so happens collage placement testing is that weekend too, oohhhh what to do.... what to do :unsure: . My 20 gal rains snails when ever I turn the lights on, I'm sure I can catch some for you.


Done deal ;)
 
I have bumblebee nerite snails and ramshorn snails!

I used used to have giant african land snails lol
 
Also Wilder what about the snails freaks you out?

Don't like the way they look when they stretch there heads out if makes me shudder.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top