Who Are The Pests.

M.R Otter

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hello, i'm having a community Garden containing Water melons (sugar baby), Carrots, sweet lettuce, cucamber and turnips. The garden is about 10 meters big and 5 meters wide. Though i'm new to gardening, there are few insects/bugs in my garden, here is a list of those bugs, I want know wich one's are good and what are bad:

1-Ants
2-Bees (some say their harmful to us and plants but I don't believe it, is it true?)
3-Flies
4-Jumping spiders
5-House Geckos (hiding among wood)
6-Darkling beetles

this may or may not be helpful, but DO NOT kill the bees! theyre dying out and once theyve gone, we are going to have to rely on pollenation from other insects and maybe artificial pollenation.

the only ones i dont know are the beetles, other than that, the others are all fine!

So long as you dont have the caterpillars i've had, you'll be fine :crazy: millions and millions and millions and millions and millions of at least 4 different species! Veggy patch is only 1 x 2 metres! I hate butterflys, i was so annoyed i was having to spray the blasted butterflies too because once they all hatched (after half destroying the vegetables) they then layed their eggs right back in my veggie patch! Which then started eating what was left!!

Most are good, especially the bees if you want any melons ,etc they will pollinate these and start the ball rolling...
Also the gecko's are worth their weight in gold as natural predators of the unwanted creepy crawlies who may appear...
Good luck with your new venture and hope it all goes well...

OOO..watch the ants..can damage some crops very quickly

hm i doubt jumping spiders would do anything bad, there awesom! go up to one and it will WATCH you as you get closer!! amazing lol

hm i doubt jumping spiders would do anything bad, there awesom! go up to one and it will WATCH you as you get closer!! amazing lol
thats great!! there is only the flies left....what about them?

i think flies are only a problem with rotting flesh? i doubt they would affect a plant patch? i could be wrong though

marigolds are (tagetes) if you want to look them up ppl say plant them as the smell they give off confuses pests trying to home in on a host plant
for example like butterflys looking for cabbages to lay their eggs on
from my years at uni reading horticulture and first hand experience i think companion planting is a waste of time though it looks nice having some flowers with your veg and they will help to encourage other benaficial insects to pollinate your fruit

good luck scot :)

Most reactions

Back