White Spots

nayrundi

Reaction score
i have two male guppies that always stay to the top of the tank next to the filter and heater,have now noticed small white spots on there body's and fins. what could be causing this... ?

Not enough water changes? Un-cycled tank? What are you water stats like?

Hi nayrundi, welcome to the forum.

I'm going to have to ask you some more questions to sort out what your problem might be.

How large is the tank, how long has it been set up, what are the inhabitants and was the tank cycled?

White spots are disease called 'Ich' which is a little parastic worm. It is often caused by poor water quality; have you tested the water at all or done a water change?

i have had the tank for about 2 weeks and have changed the water twice. The tank is 22" by 12", i did have 8 neons and the 2 guppies but now im left with 2 guppies and only 2 neons. The day we got the tank we cleaned it and put water with water ager in it and put the fish in it. Im new at this so i dont no what Un-cycled tank or stats mean. and we are also on tank water if that helps.. ?

Your tank isn't cycled; that means growing enough good bacteria in your filter to eat the ammonia from the fish pee.

'Stats' means how much of the harmful substances ammonia and nitrite are in your water.

What you need to do is buy yourself a test kit; one of the ones with a test tube, not the paper strip ones, they're not accurate enough. If you can afford a master test kit that can test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate that would be best, but the ammonia one is most important right now, as that will be what is making your fish sick. Test the water every day, and if there's any ammonia in there, do a big water change so that it's as near to zero as you can get it.
Change 50% every day until you can get the test.

You'll also need some white spot or 'ich' medicine from your fish shop. Use that as per the instructions, but remember that those instructions will be for cycled tanks.
You'll need to add the right amount of whitespot medicine into the new water so that you have the right concentraion in the tank (it's quite easy; if the bottle says '2 drops per gallon', then you put two drops per gallon in the new water), but you really need to do the water changes to get rid of the ammonia; that will kill the fish quicker than the ich.

Best of luck; do ask again if you need more help :)

Sorry for your trouble. We all make mistakes and get frustrated, but have no fear, an established aquarium is a joy and with alittle tank maintence, a beautiful addition to any home. Good morning and welcome! As Fluttermoth said, get a test kit and do water changes. Look over the beginners section on cycling and good luck! :good:

You have an un-cycled tank which means that you don't have enough beneficial bacteria to eat the ammonia produced by fish waste (quick explanation). The bacteria live on the surfaces of the tank and in the filter media. When you a add a bunch of fish to a brand new tank this is very likely to happen. By water "ager" I'm assuming you mean a de-chlorinator or bottled bacteria? Water stats are tested by a water testing kit. It's to determine how suitable your water is at any given time. The test kits will test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, hardness, etc so that you know if the water is safe for your fish. In a new set up you will be having issues with ammonia and nitrite which is very harmful to fish, hence the most likely reason why they died. I don't know what you mean by "tank" water. Is that like well water or something? Get a test kit and test the tank water and post the readings.

The kind of water will make no difference, apart from the fact you won't have to use a dechlorinator :good:

Most reactions

Back