White spot

June FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

paulinajgu

Reaction score
Please help
Long standing community tank with South Americans

My new baby Uaru started to develop two spots on tail. All other fish look well.

API Master Kit
Ammonia 0
No2 0
No3 10

Api white spot treatment for 5 days?

Be sure you know for definite what you're treating for before you start chucking meds in. Post a picture if you can so we can help you out. White spot can be cured without meds usually so hold off until we can identify what's going on

Hard to take a decent picture. Look at his tail fin.

Attachments

• 20231109_135651.jpg
    20231109_135651.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 18
Raise the temperature up to 30C and keep it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

Is it on its own? If so it will be stressed. You’ll need to get it unstressed to help with treatment and prevent further outbreaks.

This is just so frustarting! I lost three fish since this morning...

There is abosultely nothing wrong with them prior. I just see them floating dead with no eyes.
There is no gasping for air, no physical symptoms apart from the baby Uaru 2 spots on the tail that now seemed to have faded a little.

The water is good.
Ammonia 0
NO2 0
No3 5
Good filter flow. as a matter of fact i have two filters, interal in Juwel tank and external biomaster.

TBar has been hiding for the last 3 days and this morning found dead together with ruby barb.

Now i just picked up cuckoo catfish. This was was swimmign oupside down and evetually passed.

I cant turn the temperature as i have 2 albino barbs that will not tolerate high temperature.

What do i do? Is it some internal bacteria/ parasite? Do i treat with antibacterial?

All tropical fishes can tolerate a couple of weeks at 30C, assuming they are in warm (24C) water to being with.

We need pictures and video of all the fish to see if they have a disease.

All tropical fishes can tolerate a couple of weeks at 30C, assuming they are in warm (24C) water to being with.

We need pictures and video of all the fish to see if they have a disease.
Apology the video doesn't want to upload.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231110_185308_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_185308_Gallery.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20231110_185257_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_185257_Gallery.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231110_185251_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_185251_Gallery.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20231110_185233_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_185233_Gallery.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20231110_185348_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231110_185348_Gallery.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 13
The video has to be uploaded to.somewhere like YouTube first unfortunately, you can then copy and paste the link to it here for us to view.. I know, it's very annoying

The ruby barb is a bit red in the face and that can be from an infection in the face.

The rainbowfish is a weird colour, has it always been like that?

--------------------

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

When was the last time you did a water change & gravel cleaned the substrate, and cleaned the filter?

How long have you had the Uaru?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

--------------------

FIRST AID FOR FISH
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.

The ruby barb is a bit red in the face and that can be from an infection in the face.

The rainbowfish is a weird colour, has it always been like that?

--------------------

How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?
Do you dechlorinate the new water before adding it to the tank?

What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

When was the last time you did a water change & gravel cleaned the substrate, and cleaned the filter?

How long have you had the Uaru?
Have you added anything to the tank in the last 2 weeks?

--------------------

FIRST AID FOR FISH
Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. This removes the biofilm on the glass and the biofilm will contain lots of harmful bacteria, fungus, protozoans and various other microscopic life forms.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or until the problem is identified. The water changes and gravel cleaning will reduce the number of disease organisms in the water and provide a cleaner environment for the fish to recover in. It also removes a lot of the gunk and this means any medication can work on treating the fish instead of being wasted killing the pathogens in the gunk.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. However, if the filter is less than 6 weeks old, do not clean it. Wash the filter materials/ media in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn. Cleaning the filter means less gunk and cleaner water with fewer pathogens so any medication (if needed) will work more effectively on the fish.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration to maximise the dissolved oxygen in the water.
I do water change every two weeks - 15%.
Also clean the gravel and the glass and wash pre filter sponges in the old tank water.
I only clean main sponges about every 3 to 4 months. Again only in old tank water.
I have Juwal 180 with build in filter and i also run Biomaster 250.
I only use RO water. No tap water therefore no I do not dechlorinise.
Last water charge was last week with only pre filter sponges cleaned in biomaster and changes in Juwal filter.

You are right. The barb does look a bit pink on the face.

Rainbow gets that colour in the evening. In the morning he is much brighter.

Lost another cuckoo catfish today :(

Most reactions

Back