White Spot, What Do I Do?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey, I was just checking my clownfish and I noticed the slightly larger one has white spot. There are a few on his tail and body. What do I do? I have protozin white spot treatment, if it is marine suitable, do I just dose the whole main tank?

ATM its just a fish only, no live rock or inverts, I do have some snails that should be here on tuesdayish and although its not copper treatment, I take it they cant be in the tank while its being medicated. What do I do with them?

Anyone?

OK I read you can use octazin with inverts, so should I just use that and see if it works?

Noooo

take them out and treat them properly. Or if its only very few spots, increase your feeding to 5-6 times a day...not huge amounts though and re-asses after 3 or 4 days. Its quite unusualy for clownfish to be affected by whitespot tbh

Should I set up a seperate tub (around 10 gallons im guessing) as a QT tank and treat them in that? How long would it be before I could put them back in the main tank. I read marine whitespot is different from FW WS and it can't live aslong without a host and isnt effected by a raise in temp because they can tolorate 35oC I think it was.

Im pretty sure its whitespot, even though I have no idea how It got in unless they came withit and its only just shown up. I wan't to make sure its WS before I start randomly treating though.

stick a pic up.
you could treat in a bucket, but they would need a cycled filter. up their feeding for now, try and get a pic up.it can be as much as 8 weeks your tank has to be without fish.

My main tank is run on an external filter so I have cycled media. I could easily set up a seperate 10 gallon tub with internal filter and heater and a rocks if need be and treat them with copper in that. Im mixing up saltwater for a 50% waterchange ATM.

Do you think a large waterchage will help? I guess it cant hurt. I have been feeding them pinches of flake and some frozen bloodworm all day. They are eating fine, darting around after it fine.

I will see if I can get a pic but I doubt its going to show up because my camera is pretty rubbish. Their fins are looking a little tattered. Im going to have a closer look so I can give a better description of what it is. I will also try and get a pic.

Thanks for the quick help BTW. Its got me totally stressed out!

Its hard to get a good look because of the way they swim but they defo have something on them. Its very faint and im guessing the beginning of something. Now do I wait and see if it gets worse before I act?

Oh I was going to ask, what does feeding extra do? Keep energy levels up im guessing?

OK I have no idea how but feeding them more often (like small ammounts 8 times a day) has really helped. They have become more active and although I can still see something on them, it seems less somehow, so im just confused lol

OK,I was just watching the for a good 30 mins, inspecting them and I cant see a thing wrong with them now. The whitespots I thought I saw seem to have vanished.

Is it posible they are fighting and some scales came off giving the effect of a lighter spot?

I had the same problem once I just wash them with normal fresh water for less 30 to 45 sacond in small bucket

Ahh cool. I have been feeding them loads and they have been eating it all, and seem fine now. How long should I wait before I add anything else? Im dieing for a royal gramma lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back