White Scum On Water

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

beanie.law

Reaction score
I bought a minnokube which is a tiny tank which holds two white cloud minnows. It comes from the supplier fully set up with water, plant and fish in the tank already. I have had it for a couple of days. Last night I noticed a white mucous skin on the top of the water. The fish still seem active and healthy and the water is clear apart from the surface. I have removed what I can but after a few hours it is all back again. What is it? Is it dangerous to the fish? Will it stop oxygen getting into the tank? How do I get rid of it?

I am a total beginner and any help will be appreciated.

Minnokubes can be seen here: Minnokubes

What are you feeding the fish, when a tank goes like that it called a bacterial bloom, meaning the tank is cycling, it's normal.

Hello and welcome to the forum. :hi:

The film will probably disappear when you do a water change but may not. Since that is an unfiltered tank, you will have to watch how much you feed them and do frequent water changes. I saw that they say do a water change once a month but if you do that, they probably won't live long as the toxins (ammonia and nitrite) from waste (fish poo and leftover food) will kill them. Even in filtered tanks, most of us do weekly water changes and most that have bettas or other fish in unfiltered tanks or bowls do daily water changes.

Thanks guys, I'm feeding very tiny amounts of tropical fish flakes as per the suppliers instructions. I changed the water and the scum is gone so if it is bacteria I have just got rid of them. I tested the water beforehand and the nitrite levels were at five and the nitrates at 50 which is why I changed the water. When my tropical tank has finished cycling I'm thinking of putting them in there, would that be ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back