White Scum On Water Surface

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

AMPMAN

Reaction score
Hi all; new to the forum.

I've had my freshwater tropical tank set up and running for a number of years with no real problems. (70ltrs Jewel with carbon and bio filter planted with various plants with community fish installed)

Just recently it has developed a thin white scum on the surface of the water. I have tried doing a partial water change, filter change and have tested the water (which is all normal); all to no avail. I also regularly use "GreenX" in the filter to control algea.

Any ideas / Help would be gratefully received.

AMP

all i can think of is gas extange,,,,

I have this scum on the top of my tank... I only set it up 2 weeks ago but from day 1 it has had this scum.. I changed the water and the scum came straight back.. no idea what it is though... sorry!

Gemma

Have you added anything new to the tank recently? different foods, new fish etc etc...

Does it go into the intake of the filter? I had white scummy stuff too, I didn't notice it on top of the water but in my filter intake and like where the water comes out. Then I found a dead fish that must have been in there for a week or so. Check for any missing buddys. It took several water changes and cleaning out the intake before I got this stuff to go away.

Have you added anything new to the tank recently? different foods, new fish etc etc...

Nope nothing new.

Does it go into the intake of the filter? I had white scummy stuff too, I didn't notice it on top of the water but in my filter intake and like where the water comes out. Then I found a dead fish that must have been in there for a week or so. Check for any missing buddys. It took several water changes and cleaning out the intake before I got this stuff to go away.
No it doesn't go into the filter - just sits on the surface.

I've tried clearing it out but it comes straight back. No fatalities recently either.

all i can think of is gas extange,,,,

Extange? Do you mean exchange? If so would you explain what that is - it may help :)

Re-arrange your filter ouput so it disturbs the surface in another way, should fix it.

Re-arrange your filter ouput so it disturbs the surface in another way, should fix it.
Tried that but the filter does not break the surface enough.

Great minds........

Doesnt break it enough? Whats the filter strengh? Maybe you should be upgrading.

Most reactions

trending

Back