I've read through a lot of posts about white films and this may be similar to what a lot of you have run into. This is a picture of what I usually find 5-7 days after a water change:
http
/3.bp.blogspot.com/_7DpqaeYpGJ0/SOwN...1600-h/film.JPG
This has been persistent for the past several weeks. The fact that it is recurring makes me believe it's some form of bacteria or possibly fungus, especially given the organized form and its exponential growth patterns (after no water changes for a week this almost covered the entire surface of the water). I have an air stone and the filter disturbs the water surface pretty well, between them they do a good job of keeping the surface sufficiently agitated.
About a month ago I also noticed one of my neons has what appears to be a white film over one side. It's hard to see from the photo here, but it almost blots out the blue stripe along the vertebrae. It also seems to fluctuate; it usually looks the worst right after a water change and then gets better again. After my initial freakout I've decided it must not be harmful because the fish has had it for a couple of months with no issues and it hasn't spread to any of the other fish. I haven't treated the tank with anything other than water conditioner.
http
/1.bp.blogspot.com/_7DpqaeYpGJ0/SOwN...e+highlight.JPG
I'm curious if anyone has seen a similar film, if it's anything I should be concerned about, and if it might have contributed to the whitish film on my little neon.
Other tank stats:
40L
Been cycled for three months
6 neons, 2 cories, 1 SAE
3 live apogenton plants
http
/3.bp.blogspot.com/_7DpqaeYpGJ0/SOwN...1600-h/film.JPGThis has been persistent for the past several weeks. The fact that it is recurring makes me believe it's some form of bacteria or possibly fungus, especially given the organized form and its exponential growth patterns (after no water changes for a week this almost covered the entire surface of the water). I have an air stone and the filter disturbs the water surface pretty well, between them they do a good job of keeping the surface sufficiently agitated.
About a month ago I also noticed one of my neons has what appears to be a white film over one side. It's hard to see from the photo here, but it almost blots out the blue stripe along the vertebrae. It also seems to fluctuate; it usually looks the worst right after a water change and then gets better again. After my initial freakout I've decided it must not be harmful because the fish has had it for a couple of months with no issues and it hasn't spread to any of the other fish. I haven't treated the tank with anything other than water conditioner.
http
/1.bp.blogspot.com/_7DpqaeYpGJ0/SOwN...e+highlight.JPGI'm curious if anyone has seen a similar film, if it's anything I should be concerned about, and if it might have contributed to the whitish film on my little neon.
Other tank stats:
40L
Been cycled for three months
6 neons, 2 cories, 1 SAE
3 live apogenton plants







