Which Substrate ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

norclaj

Reaction score
Yet another question regarding my forth coming planted tank project...

Currently the tank has a gravel bottom, which id say is 3-4mm gravel. Im looking to completley re-do the tank and heavily plant it up, and if this means ditching the gravel already there then so be it.

Ive read many of the threads on the forum about peoples own aquariums and im getting quite confused as to which way to go regarding substrate.

Whats the best type of substrate to use to create a planted tank? sand, fine gravel, a mixture?

Just as a point id quite like a dark (possibly black) coloured bottom...

Cheers

Depends on what type of planted ttank you are going for. If you are new to this, then a low tech planted tank would be best. You still get great plant growth but it's not so demanding on maintenance. Cheaper too. In which case a nutrient substrate would be best. Dark substrate....Eco-complete would be great.

ADA soil, amazonia. are dark, good soil but pretty pricey.

Thats what I'm using and so far it seems to be pretty good. If you have high PH water go for the Amazonia II which will not release as much tannins into the water.

ADA soil, amazonia. are dark, good soil but pretty pricey.

Thats what I'm using and so far it seems to be pretty good. If you have high PH water go for the Amazonia II which will not release as much tannins into the water.
hey barney remember i had the yellow water? get some purigen and put it in your filter youll have crystal clear water over night! my water only looks green now simply because the glass is green

but yeah if your getting aquasoil wait till amazonia2 comes out itll save you a hell of a lot of fuss :)

Hmm might have to get some and give it a try. Does it take anything else out of the water (sorry for the thread hi-jack btw :) ).

Hmm might have to get some and give it a try. Does it take anything else out of the water (sorry for the thread hi-jack btw :) ).
nope nothing except tannins according to the pack, best thing i bought for the tank :good:
(sorry for hijacking)

You can also just keep what you have. A successful planted tank is definitely possible with an inert substrate, you just have to be aware that you need to supplement the water column with fertilisers for plants that primarily absorb nutrients through their leaves, and supplement the substrate with a rootab fertiliser for plants that absorb nutrients primarily throught the roots. That being said, all the previous suggestions are very good, and if you want to swap out your substrate, they are definitely ones to consider. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate, if you really don't feel like going through the trouble of swapping out a substrate. I would love to use a substrate like the ones mentioned, but my hands break out into a rash when i handle it, so I need to use an inert one, but you probably do not have this type of restriction. Be aware, however, some of the nutrient-rich substrates will produce an ammonia spike or alter the water chemistry when introduced. If you already have fish, I'd just advise caution.

llj

Be aware, however, some of the nutrient-rich substrates will produce an ammonia spike or alter the water chemistry when introduced. If you already have fish, I'd just advise caution.

llj

That is a very good point and one I should have made also. The ADA soil did create an ammonia spike in my tank on the second week. As I was cycling anyway this wasn't an issue but if you are putting fish in right away it will be. Also the ADA soil will lower the PH and hardness of the water (with the ADA soil and CO2 my PH goes from around 7.7ish out of the tap to 6.8ish before the weekly water change in the tank).

Not sure on the other types of substrate but think a lot are similar.

Be aware, however, some of the nutrient-rich substrates will produce an ammonia spike or alter the water chemistry when introduced. If you already have fish, I'd just advise caution.

llj

That is a very good point and one I should have made also. The ADA soil did create an ammonia spike in my tank on the second week. As I was cycling anyway this wasn't an issue but if you are putting fish in right away it will be. Also the ADA soil will lower the PH and hardness of the water (with the ADA soil and CO2 my PH goes from around 7.7ish out of the tap to 6.8ish before the weekly water change in the tank).

Not sure on the other types of substrate but think a lot are similar.

YES ! ADA soil lowers ph ! i just added it , and it creating a high amonia spike straight for me.. which is kinda of a problem :p considering i have fish in there. Been changing the water several times ... but hey barney did you find using ada soil , the water was quite murky? how do i fix this.. the water is still quite cloudy after 3 days.

i use sand..... i like it, but there may be better stuff.... Just giving you another option.... But it is inert so you would have to feed the roots nutrients in other ways VIA root tabs and ocaissional stiring of the sand.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back