Which substrate and how much!

I've no idea how much chlorine you have in your water, but being in the UK I suspect it is so minimal it is not even an issue. In North America, some areas heavily chlorinat the water to the point you can smell the chlorine every time the tap is turned on. From discussions with UK members a while back, this does not seem to be the case there. And, we have scientific studies showing that even at the maximum chlorine level allowed by law in the US, more than half of the bacteria did not die but easily survived. So, I would not worry much about chlorine doing anything but burning fish gills.
Oh I always dechlorinate when doing my water changes and I will before I put the fish in, my water is def on the higher side with chlorine (not as bad as wherever you are tho!!) as you do get a very “clinical” smell from our water. I just wondered if that could be affecting any bacteria bloom. Anyhow…. It’s definitely started to clear, it’s now at temperature and I’m thinking that I’ll get some oxygen on to try and move the water around a bit and then hopefully move some fish in tomorrow 😁 as long as a bacteria bloom won’t hurt them then I will wait for it to do it’s thing. I also have a new UV light coming for my filter tomorrow so hopefully that will help further 🤞🏻. Thanks again for everyone’s advice! Will post a pic when it’s finally actually set up ☺️

It just looks like suspended dust to me. I had a bacterial bloom when cycling a tank and it was a lot whiter, like very very very watered down milk.

Oh I always dechlorinate when doing my water changes and I will before I put the fish in, my water is def on the higher side with chlorine (not as bad as wherever you are tho!!) as you do get a very “clinical” smell from our water. I just wondered if that could be affecting any bacteria bloom. Anyhow…. It’s definitely started to clear, it’s now at temperature and I’m thinking that I’ll get some oxygen on to try and move the water around a bit and then hopefully move some fish in tomorrow 😁 as long as a bacteria bloom won’t hurt them then I will wait for it to do it’s thing. I also have a new UV light coming for my filter tomorrow so hopefully that will help further 🤞🏻. Thanks again for everyone’s advice! Will post a pic when it’s finally actually set up ☺️

Provided the filter is doing what it is intended to do, you should have sufficient oxygen/CO2 exchange at the surface. Why are you using a UV light? In freshwater this does not have much value.

Provided the filter is doing what it is intended to do, you should have sufficient oxygen/CO2 exchange at the surface. Why are you using a UV light? In freshwater this does not have much value.
I had an algae bloom on my other tank and I’ve had the uv filter set up on it since then. After putting it in, the water since has been crystal clear, even clearer than before the algae bloom, so just personal preference to keep it on my new tank I guess 🤷🏼‍♀️

Last edited:
A big big Thankyou to everyone who took the time to reply to this thread. The filter with the floss worked a treat, although when I put the decor in today I’ve stirred it up again 🙄) The filters and some fish are in! Call me a wuss but I’ve only put 6 fish in as I’m too scared 😬 they are certainly enjoying the new space and exploring all areas of the tank, as it’s 5x bigger than what they had!
Thankyou again, when it’s completely full (I need to warm the water up slowly as can’t take it straight from the tap cos I have a water softener so takes a while!) I will post a picture - it’s no tank of the month candidate but the fish will be happier so I’m happier :)

I’ve now moved the rest of the fish over…. The two bristlnose plecs are fighting now they are in there - is this normal over new territory? They’ve never fought before despite being in quite a small tank

How much digging is “normal” for the yo-yos? They have wrecked the tank 🤣 this was them redecorating last night. Every single corner is like that

Attachments

• IMG_7862.jpeg
    IMG_7862.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 18
How much digging is “normal” for the yo-yos? They have wrecked the tank 🤣 this was them redecorating last night. Every single corner is like that

Many species of loach like to significantly excavate. I've never kept Yo-Yo's (Botia almorhae) because of their sometimes feistiness and roughness if not aggression to themselves or upper fish they take a dislike too. But my Botia kubotai group did some remodeling now and then, but minor, they liked to excavate under the chunks of wood that they lived in (and chased one another through!) but it was their home and I always let fish do what redecorating they like, it is their space not mine. :fish:

Many species of loach like to significantly excavate. I've never kept Yo-Yo's (Botia almorhae) because of their sometimes feistiness and roughness if not aggression to themselves or upper fish they take a dislike too. But my Botia kubotai group did some remodeling now and then, but minor, they liked to excavate under the chunks of wood that they lived in (and chased one another through!) but it was their home and I always let fish do what redecorating they like, it is their space not mine. :fish:
Yes these have done some significant excavating under the logs and they like to hide in there. When they see me they come swimming up to the glass. They are so excited in this tank, I hope it’s the new space and not stress😬 they swim around together now whereas before they were more in pairs. Touch wood they are not aggressive towards my swordtails or plecs, I could watch them all day…. Just wish they wouldn’t bury all the ornaments and make a mess 🤣

Yes these have done some significant excavating under the logs and they like to hide in there. When they see me they come swimming up to the glass. They are so excited in this tank, I hope it’s the new space and not stress😬 they swim around together now whereas before they were more in pairs. Touch wood they are not aggressive towards my swordtails or plecs, I could watch them all day…. Just wish they wouldn’t bury all the ornaments and make a mess 🤣

This sounds fine.

I kind of want some yo yo loaches now.
I love them so much - I sit and watch them as much as I can, they are such characters. They sleep on their backs and sides, to the point you panic they are dead only for them to jump up and swim round like lunatics 🤣

Yes. the botine loaches are indeed interesting, when given the proper environment of course. Fish like all animals including humans have an inner circadian rhythm, governed by light/dark. And fish can readily learn the tank lighting schedule when it is consistent, as on a timer. I used to have the tank lights go off at 5 pm. And a few minutes prior to 5 pm the Botia kubotai would know it was nearly time for lights out, and they took up their positions and flopped over on one side. Every day at the same time.

Another interesting loach behaviour is known as the loach dance. Two loaches will decide to test/exercise their standing in the hierarchy of the shoal, and whirl around in a circle head to tail. I had two that were (judging by their greater size) females that would do this for a couple of hours. At the same time they both "greyed out," their poattern all but disappeared. It is a female who is the alpha fish in these hierarchies so presumably the second was testing the alpha's leadership. The fish form complex social hierarchies and for this reason must be kept in groups. As part of their interaction they regularly make clicking sounds, believed to be made by grinding the pharyngeal (throat) teeth.

Spend time sitting in front of your aquarium, it can be very entertaining.

Yes. the botine loaches are indeed interesting, when given the proper environment of course. Fish like all animals including humans have an inner circadian rhythm, governed by light/dark. And fish can readily learn the tank lighting schedule when it is consistent, as on a timer. I used to have the tank lights go off at 5 pm. And a few minutes prior to 5 pm the Botia kubotai would know it was nearly time for lights out, and they took up their positions and flopped over on one side. Every day at the same time.

Another interesting loach behaviour is known as the loach dance. Two loaches will decide to test/exercise their standing in the hierarchy of the shoal, and whirl around in a circle head to tail. I had two that were (judging by their greater size) females that would do this for a couple of hours. At the same time they both "greyed out," their poattern all but disappeared. It is a female who is the alpha fish in these hierarchies so presumably the second was testing the alpha's leadership. The fish form complex social hierarchies and for this reason must be kept in groups. As part of their interaction they regularly make clicking sounds, believed to be made by grinding the pharyngeal (throat) teeth.

Spend time sitting in front of your aquarium, it can be very entertaining.
How interesting! I have a group of 4 - now they are in the bigger tank I would like a couple more. And mine have always done everything you’ve mentioned. Mine always napped between 9-10am, in the same spots lol. The first time they greyed out I thought they were dying! The other thing mine do is put their noses and tails together and swim around as if their sides are glued together. It’s nice to see them happy :)
My 2nd pleco is nowhere to be seen tho! Hopefully he’s just enjoying all the new places to hide 😬

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back