Which Snail Should I Go For?

Which One?

  • Horned Armour Snail

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sulawesi Elephant Snails

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

ardandy

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Mar 9, 2009
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Keighley, UK
Ordering some snails and struggling with what to order for my 22litre tank.

Choice for this:

Horned Armour Snail (Brotia pagodula)

brotia5.jpg


Sulawesi Elephant Snails

greyele.jpg




For my 120litre tank (pretty much decided on this one)

Assassin Snail (Anentome helena)

1471223-2.jpg


Tiger Nerite Snail

tigerc.JPG
 
A warning that Assassin snails need feeding so either get a "pest" snail preferably ramshorns or pond snails for them to eat or give them catfish pellets broken up is said to work. There is also the possibility they will gang up to take down a larger snail, I have experienced this myself when 3 of mine all attacked a pond snail that was easily twice-thrice the size of them. An adult nerite would be fine but may be attacked if too young.
 
A warning that Assassin snails need feeding so either get a "pest" snail preferably ramshorns or pond snails for them to eat or give them catfish pellets broken up is said to work. There is also the possibility they will gang up to take down a larger snail, I have experienced this myself when 3 of mine all attacked a pond snail that was easily twice-thrice the size of them. An adult nerite would be fine but may be attacked if too young.

wow, now thats something i would never have known, nature is just amazing!
 
I asked the snail shop woman and she said these would be fine but it does make sense.

However I do have pest snails (part of the reason for getting them) so they should be fed nicely!
 
They should be fine once the nerite is an adult but I am just warning they may attack if given the opportunity.
 
From what I've read the have a complex breeding cycle in wont reproduce in a tank so should be ok!

People seem to prefer the Elephant ones!
 
No assassin snails have a very simple breeding pattern, I have some younguns now (not for sale). You need a traditional 2 members of the species one from each sex (its very difficult to tell sexes though) and if given bountiful food they will reproduce. The young live in the sand and eat micro-organisms and will emerge after 6-8 months with shells similar to the adults except normally better formed as the ends are less likely to be damaged as they haven't been moved. They aren't difficult to breed its just that its a long time span compared to some other snails which can squirt out 100's a week.

Nerites have a slightly more complex breeding pattern but I am more referring to it getting eaten whilst young as in when you first get it rather then if it has offspring.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top