Which Ro Unit?

FiSh123FiSh

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking to start my Rio 125 by the end of the month which is great! And I'll be sure to start up a journal :) Looking at the prices of RO water from my LFS its so expensive! I think I will get my own unit which will hopefully be a lot more cost effective.

I've been looking at RO-Mans website and he has quite a few 3 stage systems either 50 to 100 gdp, is this an okay unit to provide enough water for a small tank at 125 litres (30gallon) with the occasional water changes?

Which ones do you use?

On a budget of about £100 so anything with in there would be great. I've seen a few 3 stage systems for around the £80 mark.

Look foward to hearing your opinions!

Tom.

A 50gpd 3 stage unit will do fine for your setup.

I use an osmotics 4 stage 50gpd http://www.osmotics.co.uk/4-stage-50-gallon-per-day-reverse-osmosis-system-p-101.html

Thanks Nick,

Is there much difference between 3 and 4 stages? Thats a pretty good price. I maybe inclined to go for the same as yours. Can it be put onto a garden hose?

Tom.

Thanks Nick,

Is there much difference between 3 and 4 stages? Thats a pretty good price. I maybe inclined to go for the same as yours. Can it be put onto a garden hose?

Tom.

The 4 stage adds a di resin pod, i didn't really need it but for the extra few quid it was worth it

Oh okay. I will put that one on my list of things to get :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, can it connect to a garden hose?

Oh okay. I will put that one on my list of things to get :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Sorry, can it connect to a garden hose?

Yeah it can be connected to a outside tap, you will need one of these http://www.osmotics.co.uk/garden-hose-adaptor-p-146.html?cPath=1_51 and a tap connector.

It is very easy to plumb in under the sink.

If you want 0 TDS - definately get a DI section. I would refer to this as 3 stage+DI (2 prefilters, 1 ro membrame, 1 DI).

Extra stages usually consist of another pre-filter and/or extra ro membranes, which can be used to try and reclaim some more water from the waste.

If you are on a water meter and don't want to waste so much water, extra RO membrane sections can help reduce your pure to waste ratios, at the expense of replacing extra membranes. You can easily add these in at a later date if you want.

I got a "compact" 100GPD 3 Stage + DI for around £70. Compact means you replace the whole pre-filter pods. The larger ones you can replace the innards, retaining the housing.... it's also neater for a permanent install.

4 stage osmotics + DI unit I would avoid RO-Man as they have had some difficulties recently

id agree with morri, they almost went bust recently. id also go for a 100GPD one aswel, as you actually get nowhere near this figure.

Oh I had no idea. I suppose the sales of RO units are not that regular.

So I should go for a 4 stage with a DI, I'm not on a water board so any waste water would be used to top up my pond that is evaporating like crazy in this hot weather.

Osmotics (the website) you have to be 18 to use, I'm still 17 so any other places you would suggest?

Thanks,

Tom.

18 to use? That is strange - maybe they only accept credit cards? I would be surprised if they didn't take debit cards. If its just a case of DOB and isn't regarding billing, I would just bump the age up a bit.

RO units are very common outside of the aquatic industry, so you can look at "generic" units too.

Pond top up is okay - even though it is "waste" water, it is still water cleaned by your pre-filters (as they don't waste any water).

Yeah, I think I will bump it up lol.

Okay so thats were the waste will be going.

I'm under the impression that the water you get from the unit is just a trickle? Is this true?

EDIT: I think I will go with this UNIT.

that unit looks fine, but depending on you area, water pressure/quality and the air temperature it will be a LOT less than 50GPD, more like a drip every 2 seconds, my 100GPD does about 10-20 depending.

Depends on your pressure, the temperature and the mood of the magical wizard of mushrooms.

Your ratio will vary a lot, and even with me on very high pressure with a very good ratio, I only get around 75GPD from a 100GPD unit.

So yes, a trickle. For water changes on a smaller tank you should be okay.

Depends on your pressure, the temperature and the mood of the magical wizard of mushrooms.

Your ratio will vary a lot, and even with me on very high pressure with a very good ratio, I only get around 75GPD from a 100GPD unit.

So yes, a trickle. For water changes on a smaller tank you should be okay.

only 75GPD? thats pretty awesome!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back