which is the most beautiful and smallest cory

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

aernympha

Fish Herder
Reaction score
which is the most beautiful and smallest cory??????????? and do they have to be in group of 6 can't 3 do??? :D

I've heard of a pygmy cory - there are some people on this board that have them I believe. I've never seen one however, so I couldn't tell ya how they look - I just know they're the smallest. I believe (though I could be wrong!) albino corys, and panda corys stay on the smaller side - 2 inches max I think. Corys don't have to be in a school of 6, it's just ideal. They like their own kind, and will be much more active and less shy if they have buddies. Three would probably be fine if that's all you can fit. I have only 2, and though they are shy during part of the day, they still come out to say hi and seem to be happy!

As for the "most beautiful" I would definitely say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder in this situation. Some people just looooove the looks of albinos, but personally I find them sort of creepy, even though they're lovely fish! :p I enjoy my pandas - they really do look like pandas with their adorable black eye patches. I know I'm biased, but of course I think mine are the prettiest (although emerald corys are gorgeous if you want to go a bit bigger).

why do u only two cherry barbs in there own tank????? :thumbs: :S is it very small and aren't green tiger barbs surposed to be in a shoal?? -_- :unsure:

The tank the cherry barbs are in is a 5 gallon. I'm not quite sure what surprises/upsets you, but I'll guess. They're not in a school because cherry barbs can be very shy of their own species, and the males can annoy each other if there are too many of them - especially in a small space. I did a lot of research before deciding what to stock my new tank with, don't worry. :nod: I'm going to add one of my dwarf gouramis soon, and then maybe an ADF or some corys.

Secondly, yes, tiger barbs need to be in a school ideally. Besides them enjoying the company of the same species, it helps a lot with aggression from them towards other fish in your tank. However, I have a unique situation. I originally had a school of tiger barbs, and this green one is the lone survivor. He does not nip anyone in the tank - he's the most peaceful one I've had. He actually schools with the danios and seems completely content and happy with his life!

kool!!!! , soz if i offended u but i knew that u can keep cherry barbs in pairs i just wondered how come they was alone i thought maybe they was illl i was just intersted i like cherry barbs and thinking of getting them........ and yeha i did wonder about one tiger barb but as u said hes been adopted by the danios so all is well!!!! :D :thumbs: anyways tiger barbs and danios are from the same family arent they?? :D :lol: :thumbs: gd luck with the other tank! :thumbs:

Was just wondering what is an albino cory... does albino refer to its colour or breed? i just got a white cory... don't really know it's breed and the LFS' owner isn't really into fish (maybe just for money) so she couldnt tell me anything more than it was a cory

as far as most beautiful, i feel its a toss up between the juliis and the peppered. as for smallest, i found one called corydoras hastatus or the dwarf cory, they only get to about an inch. saw them an lfs and thought they were just babies, thats how little they are.

I've got 6 little pygmy cories - corydoras pygmaeus - and they're sooooo cute. Only grow to about an inch, more streamlined than most of the cories and tend to hover in the water in the middle of the tank. When they're not doing that they hang out together on a rock or a leaf. The adults are a sort of silvery brown with a bold dark stripe along their side - I've had 2 babies survive in a community tank - didn't know they were there until they were well grown (sort of)

Thanks for your post about the C. amapaensis, BlackWolf0503. I haven't seen one of them yet, but this is the kind or cory I have been looking for. It is attractive and sells for a higher price than most corys do.

I've had good luck breeding corys, (in fact, they won't stop laying eggs!) but from a practical standpoint they have little resale value. Since I've been looking for a way to make what has become an expensive hobby at least partially support itself, I've been looking for corys that will bring a little higher price. This one certainly does.

I have recently bought 6 C. sterbai. They sell for about $10 for an almost grown fish and $5 for one an inch long. That is retail, but even selling to lfs they would bring several times what a bronze that sells for $2 would.

The more I think about it the more I want to go back & get him. Most of the other Cory's are Black & White then paterned. He was the First one I've seen that was Colored. I did asked if he was Dyed or injected & the LFS that had him said they didn't think so but could not give me a 100%. I think I'm gonna go back.

C. hastatus, pygmaeus... And they actually swim mostly.. Need large shoal.

Hi BlackWolf0503 :D

Corys do come in an assortment of colors, but they are more unusual and harder to find. Check out the color variations on C. aeneus. The C. sterbai has a surprising shade of orange on its pectoral fins. Even the common bronze, seen in the right light, has a virtual rainbow of beautiful colors on it. The pictures I've seen do not seem to do them justice.

I hope you do go back and get one of the amapaensis corys. If you can get two, by all means, do that. If not, it would be a good idea to pick up one or two of a more common variety to keep it company. Corys are schooling fish and really do not do as well by themselves as they do as part of a small group.

Most reactions

Back