Which Is Best - Aggressive Cichlid Tank Or A Community Tank?

didz04

Fish Addict
Joined
Feb 20, 2009
Messages
776
Reaction score
17
Points
18
Location
UK
Hi, I wanted opinions on which you like the best, either a cichlid tank with aggressive fish in there or a community tank with lots of variety of fish.
I have already had a community setup before and was exciting and then i converted the tank to cichlids, which is nice with colours but not as exciting as the community tank. I'm thinking of going back to a community tank, however what community fish are there that are as nice looking in colourwise with community fish. I have already thought of a small list for the fish i am hoping to get:
- Clown Loach
- Goby (purple spotted) likely or Bumble Bee Goby
- yoyo loach
- shrimps
- Bolivion Ram
- Angelfish
- Coolie Loach
- Pictus Catfish

What else would be suitable for my tank?
In your opinion what is best a community or aggressive tank...
Thanks.
 
Colourwise, Id say rainbowfish, particularly Lacustris (turquoise) as they change colour often, lovely blues, green, purples shades or Boesemani. What size is the tank?
 
Colourwise, Id say rainbowfish, particularly Lacustris (turquoise) as they change colour often, lovely blues, green, purples shades or Boesemani. What size is the tank?

Its a 95 litre tank...
 
im rubbish on stocking.. but if i had to choose i would go with Tangikans (sp) i was looking at someones the other day and chatting to him,his tank is so alive.. i dont mean platies swimming up and down and angels floating by.. really active, they are so territorial that there is always something happening, but by the same token im not sure 95 litres would suit :/
 
im rubbish on stocking.. but if i had to choose i would go with Tangikans (sp) i was looking at someones the other day and chatting to him,his tank is so alive.. i dont mean platies swimming up and down and angels floating by.. really active, they are so territorial that there is always something happening, but by the same token im not sure 95 litres would suit :/

Ahh its ok, i want some small looking fish with colours like some killifish, is there any that would be suitable for the tank, it is 32" length 18" high and depth 12".
 
I would say you would have to cross off Clown Loach, Angelfish and Pictus off of your list. You just do not have enough room for any of them, let alone a community. shelaghfishface's idea about some small Tangs is a good idea, but reseach first before you get some taht get too big.
 
10 harlequins and 2 rams..and ur pretty much fully stocked.maybe a few cherry shrimp too?
 
i have some odessa barbs and they are quite peacefull they dont nip anything in my tank,also love peacock gobbies nice colourfull fish.
got mine in a 100 lt tank
 
In no means am I an expert in fish stocking. In fact, the fish that were in my tank before they got fried by the heater most probibly arent even sposed to be stocked together. However, I have found, that when bought from juvinile, some fish, dispite breed, will get along together fine.

In my tank (before the heater malfunction) I had:

1 yellow lab cichlid
1 electric blue cichlid
2 tiger barbs
2 green barbs
1 albino tiger barb
1 Pleco
1 upside down catfish
1 jewel cichlid
1 clown loach
1 shark
1 paradise fish
2 Dwarf Puffers

and I never had any problems.... in fact im convinced the clown loach thought it was a barb because all he did all day was follow them around, feed with them etc. lol I think its a bit trial and error with fish, each fish has its own temperament.... but make sure u have a spare cycled tank in case any fish dont get on.

Sorry if I annoy/outrage anyone with the fish I had together, but really they were fine together!
 
In no means am I an expert in fish stocking. In fact, the fish that were in my tank before they got fried by the heater most probibly arent even sposed to be stocked together. However, I have found, that when bought from juvinile, some fish, dispite breed, will get along together fine.

In my tank (before the heater malfunction) I had:

1 yellow lab cichlid
1 electric blue cichlid
2 tiger barbs
2 green barbs
1 albino tiger barb
1 Pleco
1 upside down catfish
1 jewel cichlid
1 clown loach
1 shark
1 paradise fish
2 Dwarf Puffers

and I never had any problems.... in fact im convinced the clown loach thought it was a barb because all he did all day was follow them around, feed with them etc. lol I think its a bit trial and error with fish, each fish has its own temperament.... but make sure u have a spare cycled tank in case any fish dont get on.

Sorry if I annoy/outrage anyone with the fish I had together, but really they were fine together!

You know that clown loach and other loaches or catfish that are look a likes to clown loach generally get on really well with cichlids.
Actually i heard tht barbs were fine with cichlids, and also you saying that the barbs got on really well with the clown loach to me isn't a shock, because it happened to me before when i had a community tank. It was the tiger barbs mainly with the clown loach, which they do kind of look a like with the colours.
How big were your Dwarf Puffers, because do they need to be in brackish when they get bigger than 3" i've heard.
I don't know about pictus because i've never had them before but my clown loach and angelfish got on really well in the tank. I had my angelfish when they were under 3" and they grew to about 5", i had a community setup for over 1 and a half years. My clown loach were small, however i know that they should be atleast in a 4ft tank but also seen them do very well when they are small in 3ft tank. The reason why they say they should be in a 4ft tank even at small size, is so that people will have them in a 4ft tank already for when they do grow big.

'xx-miss-limber-xx' How big was your tank with this stock you had.
 
i have some odessa barbs and they are quite peacefull they dont nip anything in my tank,also love peacock gobbies nice colourfull fish.
got mine in a 100 lt tank

Yeah peacock gobies were another option and are very easy to breed, also i was thinking of knight gobies however it is hard to find some that have been born in tropical waters. There is only one shop i know can get these.

I have been looking at the dwarf puffers and have been researching on them watching youtube vids for ages and have felt like i have learnt almost everything and everything that i need to know about these. They are cute and have a really good personality, and this is from mainly all the people who have had this saying that they are a very good fish to keep. Im am hoping to keep it with bumblebee gobies and otto's.

Is anyone an expert on these fish and can you tell me more different fish i can keep with them except for danios and minnows?
Thanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top