Which Gourami Do You Think Is Best?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

catherine896

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all i've been thinking about getting a pair of gourami but unsure what type i've taken a liking to the sunset gourami but just wanted your thoughts and idea's on what type you all think are best, i have a 35G tank if that helps in any way.

Thanks.

hi all i've been thinking about getting a pair of gourami but unsure what type i've taken a liking to the sunset gourami but just wanted your thoughts and idea's on what type you all think are best, i have a 35G tank if that helps in any way.

Thanks.

Hi Catherine, for gouramis it is best to take 1 male and 2 females, to avoid that the male harrasses the female constantly. 35 gallons gives you enough space for 3 (a rough rule of thumb is 10 gallons/gourami, since they are territorial and need to be able to delimit their own space).

As far as I know sunsets are a sort of dwarf gourami, and these are prone to stress and sicknesses. If you read on this forum, you will see that several people have been writing about sick dwarfs (amongst others me). Maybe have a look at other gouramis which are as colourful and not as vulnerable, such as honey or sparkling gouramis.

Have a look at this thread: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=449913. Here you will find quite a lot of info on the different species.

Gouramis is definitively a good choice :good: I love them!

Good luck!

I agree with exactly what Biulu has said but I'm wondering what other fish you have in your tank already and how long it's been set up for. I'd personaly suggest a trio of pearl gouramies - but this depends on other inhabitants :)

The tank may be a little cramped when the the gouramis get fully grown since Pearls can get to 4-5 inches eventually. I although i have mine in a 40 gallon so so yours will probably be all right, a trio may be a bit heavy. P.S they are beautiful fish and IMO cheap! :good:

Most reactions

Back