Which Fish

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

kuzyaburst

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok i'm about to head out to pet super store and I am planning on getting either a Flame Dwarf Gourami or a Siamese Algae eater. Which should I get? Even though i'm planning on keeping both in the near future I'm only adding in one fish today. 

Well one what size is your tank, and what fish are you keeping atm?

I would get a flame dwarf gourami personally, SAE get large and mean as they mature and attack the slime coats of fish so i would personally stay away from this fish.

wait till u are at the store so that you can see the fish and then make up your mind which one you want now that s what i did

sawickib said:

I would get a flame dwarf gourami personally, SAE get large and mean as they mature and attack the slime coats of fish so i would personally stay away from this fish.
36g with 5 danios and 14 neon tetras, my tank is also heavily planted.
SeanTrollope said:
wait till u are at the store so that you can see the fish and then make up your mind which one you want now that s what i did
alright yeah, i'm probably gonna go for the gourami just for the looks, especially since I don't have an algae problem. 

sawickib said:

You're thinking of CAE not SAE :) SAE max out at about 4-5 inch and are calm as could be. CAE get up to 9 inch and are the aggressive ones that eat the eyes and slime coats.

As for what you want, if you plan to keep both in future get the least aggressive today - The SAE.
Dwarf Gourami's can be pretty aggressive to newcomers so add those last :)

Paradise3 said:

You're thinking of CAE not SAE
smile.png
SAE max out at about 4-5 inch and are calm as could be. CAE get up to 9 inch and are the aggressive ones that eat the eyes and slime coats.

As for what you want, if you plan to keep both in future get the least aggressive today - The SAE.
Dwarf Gourami's can be pretty aggressive to newcomers so add those last
smile.png

Really? I did not know, I knew that Gouramis in general are pretty aggressive little guys... but I heard the Flame Dwarf Gourami was a pretty peaceful fish.

kuzyaburst said:

smile.png
SAE max out at about 4-5 inch and are calm as could be. CAE get up to 9 inch and are the aggressive ones that eat the eyes and slime coats.

smile.png

Really? I did not know, I knew that Gouramis in general are pretty aggressive little guys... but I heard the Flame Dwarf Gourami was a pretty peaceful fish.

They are actually one of the more aggressive species :) The least aggressive, that I know of, is the Sparkling Gourami. Though they are tiny, Croaking are next, also small, and then Honey which are a similar size to Dwarves but a bit smaller.

Paradise3 said:

smile.png

smile.png

They are actually one of the more aggressive species
smile.png
The least aggressive, that I know of, is the Sparkling Gourami. Though they are tiny, Croaking are next, also small, and then Honey which are a similar size to Dwarves but a bit smaller.

ahh ok I see thanks! 

I would avoid dwarf gourami period due to the risk of serious health problems this fish frequently carries.  Honey Gourami are better, also a bit calmer.  I'll come back to the gourami aggression issue.

The CAE/SAE confusion is frequent, and it doesn't end there; there are other fish very similar in appearance to SAE that are problematic too, plus they are not as good with algae.  But as for algae, understand that the true SAE will eat brush algae, not some other types, and also this is a largish fish for a 36g tank.  It is also a shoaling species so it really is better in a small group.  For all this, I would stay away from it since you appear to only be interested in the species as an algae eater (sorry if I've misunderstood).

To the gourami.  All male gourami of every species are territorial, similar to male cichlids.  The level of territorial protection/aggression varies according to species.  In smallish spaces, two males may not get along at all, and one will soon be dead.  Females are generally less inclined to this, depending upon species.  If you go with the Honey Gourami, you could do a trio of one male and two females.  This would not necessarily work with some other species.  I have maintained and spawned several species over the years, being most drawn to the small and rarer species (pygmy sparkling, licorice, eyespot, chocolate and false chocolate) but there is no question that even with these the more space they have, and the thicker the floating plants, the better.

Byron.

Byron said:
I would avoid dwarf gourami period due to the risk of serious health problems this fish frequently carries.  Honey Gourami are better, also a bit calmer.  I'll come back to the gourami aggression issue.

The CAE/SAE confusion is frequent, and it doesn't end there; there are other fish very similar in appearance to SAE that are problematic too, plus they are not as good with algae.  But as for algae, understand that the true SAE will eat brush algae, not some other types, and also this is a largish fish for a 36g tank.  It is also a shoaling species so it really is better in a small group.  For all this, I would stay away from it since you appear to only be interested in the species as an algae eater (sorry if I've misunderstood).

To the gourami.  All male gourami of every species are territorial, similar to male cichlids.  The level of territorial protection/aggression varies according to species.  In smallish spaces, two males may not get along at all, and one will soon be dead.  Females are generally less inclined to this, depending upon species.  If you go with the Honey Gourami, you could do a trio of one male and two females.  This would not necessarily work with some other species.  I have maintained and spawned several species over the years, being most drawn to the small and rarer species (pygmy sparkling, licorice, eyespot, chocolate and false chocolate) but there is no question that even with these the more space they have, and the thicker the floating plants, the better.

Byron.

Those are some very good points.

Dwarf Gourami's are prone to the Iridovirus, not many last longer than 6 months before dying from it...

Also, yes SAE's are very easily confused and do need shoals.
If you don't have an algae problem but want something on the bottom, why not try corydoras catfish?

Just to chime in the Gourami discussion, female Pearls are usually pretty relaxed in my experience. The males are better looking, but I would only ever keep them with a couple of females because of potential aggression. I have a male with two females and have had absolutely no problems in a tank that has previously held long-finned danios, killifish (albeit a smaller, more relaxed species), Cory's, Whiptails, Kuhli Loaches, and Harlequins. Not even mild territorial chasing, just mild interest in the females.

Yea id agree, pearl are pretty chill, although i have 4 no idea of the sex but i dont think it matters in a 180 gallon thats decorated lol i never see major aggression, they always chill with eachother, more like a group of angel fish.

Most reactions

Back