Which fish can tolerate Salt Water Conditions?

jvis0606

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a tropical tank with some Molly's and PLaty's.. when they are stressed I tend to add a little acquarium salt to the tank and that seems to work great. When I add new fish, which ones are going to be okay with these water conditions?

Scaleless fish can't be in salty water, right? What about others, any I should be careful of? Thx

Right scaleless fish can't tolerate salt well, nor can fish that come from acidic conditions generally. Fish that will tolerate salt well as you found out are mollies, platies, guppies, many gobies, most eels, some puffers, a few species of cichlid, and some fish like zebras danios. Never add salt with loaches, and many species of catfish. But salt is very good for your platies, and mollies.

Come puffers have to be kept in brackish. Dunno if they scaleless. Wanna know something that's gonna trip you out? There's a catfish that lives in saltwater and freshwater. Black fin shark catfish. Anyways go here for a small list that you're looking for.

Mollies and Platys prefer slightly brackish water so he should have salt in there anyways. Most fish ought to be able to adjust easily and quickly provided they aren't a salt-sensitive type which there aren't too many of on the whole.

Great thanks. I don't add a lot, but it seems to make them happy when they are going through this cycle process.

Just so I don't screw this up... if I add the following to my tank of currently platies and mollies:
gourami's
zebra danios
and maybe a red tailed shark
or clown loach

The only fish that would cause concern with the salt level is the clown loach, right?

I'm not sure on that. Maybe the RTS too? I'm not sure though.

But there is another type of fish that tend to be intolerant to salt, neon tetras.

P.T.

I used to add salt to my tank a year or so ago, but since I have always had corys and plecos and I found out that salt was no good for them I stopped. I have platys and mollies and they seem to do fine without any salt.

Does anyone else keep platys, and more specifically, mollies without adding salt?

Most reactions

Back