Which aquarium is best for Bettas (plus a couple of tank mates)?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Cathyplus2

Reaction score
Hi all :)

I hope that I am posting in the correct group, please ignore if inappropriate for this group. (And, sorry, long email alert!!)

Year ago I had fish - two tropical tanks (2ft & 3ft) and a coldwater tank (2ft)... that was a long time ago and I ran them down and rehomed the fish, as I was expecting twins and we needed the room. My boys are now nearly 15 and my husband has been asking me what I would like for my 50th birthday and my answer was 'a new aquarium'!

I used to have community fish, but I always wanted a Siamese Fighting Fish, so I though that starting a new aquarium this would be the perfect time to get such a lovely fish.

I am starting small (to begin with!!) and have been looking at the following:
https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/fluval-flex-57l-aquarium-kit
https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/superfish-home-40-aquarium
https://www.fishkeeper.co.uk/superfish-start-30-tropical-aquarium-black-2 (actually the one in the shop is the Superfish Start 50, but they don't show this on the website!)

I would be interested to hear people's comments about the following:
  • any experience (good or bad) of any of these aquariums
  • whether you think any of these these would be particularly good/bad for a Betta?
  • I like the clean look of the hidden filter/heater, are there any downsides to this?
  • if I go for the third option can anyone recommend solutions to 'hide' the filter & heater?
  • 15+ years ago I had tube lighting for my aquariums - the coloured RGB LEDs look pretty, but are they worth it and do they cause any problems?
  • If I go for the Fluval I was thinking I would get filter intake screens to hide the larger slots and also add extra sponge filter media to the first compartment, in the hope of slowing things down, as I have read that Betta's prefer this - have anyone done this?
Once I have decided on which tank, I will set it up, acclimate it for at least a week and then I was thinking of adding a couple of snails, a couple of small Corys and maybe 3 or 4 Tetras. Then let them settle in for at least another week, before going shopping for the Betta - does that all sound about right please?

Thanks LOADS for any/all advice, it's been a while and I am rather rusty about all of this!!
Cathy :)

All three tanks are a nice size for a betta. But a betta alone. I'll come to that later.

Look at the filters. Bettas do not like fast flowing water so make sure you can turn the flow rate down. If any of them can't, look at the others.

Things have changed since you last had fish. We now do not recommend cycling with fish. There are two alternatives.
Either use this method and do a fishless cycle https://www.fishforums.net/threads/cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first.421488/
Or plant the tank heavily, wait until you are sure that the plants are growing, then get a betta. Monitor ammonia and nitrite for several days to make sure the plants are using all the ammonia.

You also need to check the hardness of your tap water. We have come to realise that fish should be kept in water with similar hardness to that in which they evolved. Look on your water company's website to see if they give your hardness -you need a number and the unit of measurement rather than some vague words. UK water companies often use unusual units of measurement which is why we need that; if necessary we can convert the hardness into the two units used in fish keeping. If you can't find the info, tell us the name of the water company and we'll see if we can find it.

Betta's are not community fish, they are best kept on their own with perhaps a snail for company.
The fish you suggest as tank mates are all shoaling fish which need at least 6 of the same species, and the three dwarf cories need at least 10.
Cories need cooler temperatures than bettas, and tetras are likely to nip a betta's fins. Even the most un-nippy fish can't help themselves when faces with those long flowing fins.
The Flex is big enough to house one of the nano species of fish, but without a betta if you decide you want more than one fish.

I kept my Betta alone in 5 or 10gallon tanks, They get stressed when any fish swims into their territory even if they just sit there and look like they are doing nothing they naturally get stressed by other fish. @essjay is spot on with his advice.

What @essjay says is correct so I won't expand.
I do have a Flex 57 litre and I replaced the standard pump with an adjstable one that is a lower capacity. The standard pump was too fast for my fish, and bettas like even less flow. The same will apply to the smaller flex which comes with the same pump.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back