Which Aquaclear Filter For 55 Gal.

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bloomsburg pa
I have my 55 gallon starting to cycle with an old Whisper filter, it has XL charcoal bags (2) and very noisey but doing a good job, I think the propeller is a little bent and hitting the plastic but I'm getting great water flow. I want to get an aquaclear filter for it and I've heard mixed reviews on getting the 70 and 110, I've been told the 70 would be all I need and if I had a large bio load I'd need the 110, however I want the best for the tank. I'm thinkning on just spending the extra money and going ahead and getting the 110 that ways I don't have to add any extra filteration later, any suggestions?
 
complete n00b logic here, but would it not make sense to "have and not need, than need and not have?"

is there such a thing as too much circulation/filtering/etc for a tank?
 
i use 2 aquaclear 110 on my 65gallon, i have used whispers before and i also found them to be noisy, canister filters are great but cleaning them can be a pain. I'm in favor of the aquaclear, theyre quiet and easy to clean and have great flowrates i think the 110 pumps out 500 gph
 
If you're only going to use one filter, then definitely get the AC110.
 
I have an AC 110 on my 55. It is not much more money and not any deeper (front to back) so the tank does not have to be further from the wall. Unlike Whisper filters, when you turn the flow down on an AC, it recirculates water inside the filter instead of choking the flow to the pump. (which I think puts more stress on the motor).

Also, I love the AC media over the Whisper. (I had a whisper 60 like you)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top