Which Ancistrus ??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Tippy

Reaction score
Hello Catfish Clan ... I have been recommended to get a Ancistrus for my tank. I have 4 neon tetras, 1 glowlight, 3 peppered corys (which far outweigh my other tank members in character !) and 5 zebra danios at the moment.

My set up is a 2 foot by 1 foot tank which is running beautfully. However, I do live in a hard water area - the readings remain about GH12d. The tank is planted with live plants and has some lovely bog wood in it.

Now, I have surfed the internet and have found many conflicting stories of these little catfish, or not so little, as the case may be !

What I am looking for is a smallish catfish that can help with the maintenance of algae ! I do love my corys - they are amazing. I obvioulsy do not want to get something that will be too big for my tank and whatever I choose has to get on well with my other tank inhabitants.

Any suggestions ???

Thanks from a newbie !!! :fish: :fish: :fish:

Ancistrus catfish get a little too large for a 20 gallon tank IMO,the males can attain a size of 5".A smaller algea eater more suited to tanks of that size are members of the Otocinclus family,commonly known a "ottos".They have a max size of 1 1/2 inches and can be kept in small groups,i would recomend 4 or 5 for a 20 gallon tank.

Most reactions

Back