Where's All The Much Going?

pixelpefekt

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland - In the middle
I've just recently upgraded to a new tank and changed from gravel to sane substrate. Here's my dilema... before, when I vaccumed the gravel there would be an obvious sign of fish poo and dirt that would get sucked out at each water change - resulting in a peace of mind knowing that I was keeping things clean.

But now that I have sand, there is no sign of the same waste. I think what's happening is that my loach is constantly distubing the sand and as a side effect is burying the waste. Is this right?

I'm still changing the water but I'm worried that there is going to be a build-up of waste in the sand that will eventually lead to bad water conditions.

Any advice?
 
just stir up the poop and vaccum it or take out smal amounts of sand and wash the poop out
 
Hi pixelpefekt :)

It's more likely that your loach is stirring it up and it's being sucked into your filter. Keep an eye on it because the media might need to be rinsed out more often than with the gravel.
 
do you have any cories since my freinds corys just go around eating the poop!
 
poo gets inbetween gravel, because the grains a large, with sand, there is nowhere for the grains to grip the poop so any water movement will take it into the filter
 
Don't have any corries - and didn't know they were into eating poop. Little monsters.

Sounds good. The picture I had in my mind was of all the poop lying beneath the sandy surface just waiting to show its self is mass one horrible day. If it's heading to the filter, result!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top