Where To Find Good Rocks

PlatinumAngel

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 13, 2008
Messages
225
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario Canada
Is there any kind of rocks you can use in your tank? I'd like to get something nice, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg for it. Where would be a good place to go to find rock and will it be safe for my tank?
 
garden centres do aquatic rocks/stones.. or go to the beach and stuff some up your jumper, u will need to do the vinegar test on them tho :) and a big jumper obviously

shelagh xxx
 
from me, but ya too far away,,,,,,,i used to get my ones from the beach :good: then boil them clean and scrub them,,,,try the local rivers n lakes,,,,boil them,scrub them, but make sure there ok before you add them,,,,,,,al mine were just big pebbles<flint
 
ooh a garden center. The beaches around here I don't think would have the size I'd want. But a garden center might I suppose.

Vinigar test... umm Never done it before. What am I looking for?
 
drop a few drops of vinegar on the rock and if it fizzes its not suitable, if it doesnt fiz its fine
 
Thanks.

Hmm may take a drive out to the beach tomorrow then... to see if there's anything decent. Had they washed up on shore or did you have to go swiming for them?
 
no it would depend though we have 7 miles of golden sand them after that the beach changes to pebble like shingle,,,,,,,more diff to find if yours is a full sand beach,,,,,,,try rivers/lakes or a hardware depot :good:
 
Well actually going to take a drive out to the beach now, if no luck then I'll check a river around here. Will give us something to do if nothing else.
 
Got some. Will post them up in a bit.
I found some decent sized rocks. Now two of them did nothing at all with the vinigar, two of them, just vaugely bubbled... I wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't been staring intently at it. So when you say bubbles, does it fizz a lot or even just a tiny bit is not ok?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top