Where Can I Buy Livefoods?

karigupi

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Northants
Or can I cultivate them myself?

I found some blister packs of frozen bloodworm for my DPs but I would like to be able to offer them live ones as well, my lfs doesnt appear to have any & the only ones I can find are on ebay & they only post once a week.

Can anyone offer any pointers of places I can look either on or offline?
 
I know you can grow brine shrimp.

Your LFS should carry the eggs to do so, and the kit to grow them in as well.

-FHM
 
i wouldnt never buy them online. it would take too long for them to come, the only option you have really is snail farms and brine shrimp farms. would you like me to give you more info on this?

heres about the snail farm, info sourced from iSnail :)(thanks)

Snail farms are easy to do. Just a small plastic 'hamster box' or such with water and a bit of plant stuff like elodea or such in and just add snails. I get a fair few from my LFS as they let me pick them out of their plant tank for free Just chuck them in the water and do a small water change every week. I have mine in the cube aquarium I have and they just get on with it themselves. Ramshorns and pond snails I have. Just remember the snails need to to be about the size of their eyes for them to be able to eat fully. Slightly bigger ones are ok but they just eat the meat then
 
For my DPs, I breed snails and Daphnia for them but other live food (bloodworms, glass worms, brine shrimps) I buy about once every 3 weeks or so if I can get to LFS. You can try other shell food too (fresh or frozen). Some people even manage to feed them mussels, clams, shrimps, etc. Mine are still finicky and only "tasted" cooked mussels once.
 
Not long ago, there was a wonderful place selling blackworms and, at the time, offering a deal on this forum; just had a poke through my files and can't find it or recall the name to Google, but too lazy to look too far right now as it's almost 3 AM and I'm cross-eyed.
Tolak actually recommended them (which settled the matter for me,) and with any luck he'll see this and come up with the name or a link.
I especially wanted to keep the name of that particular business handy (groan - in a safe place - I'll find it here... aaarrrggghhh!!!) so someday I can order some for my fish - they're very nourishing, and you might want to look into those, whether from that place or elsewhere.
 
Thank you everyone for your replies :good:

I have a brine shrimp starter kit on its way, & have a good fast breeding community of snails in my large tank which I hope will keep them happy.

I can find kits for other worms-microworms, grindal worms & banana worms, are these a good source of nutrition for the dwarf puffers? I never knew so many types of worms exsisted!
 
To be honest, I doubt your DPs will take much notice of bbs, microworms or anything of that size. Mine don't unless they are hungry and the worms really wriggle hard right in front of them. New born DPs take these though.

You can breed Daphnia for them. These might not be as nutritional but they provide roughage to clear their digestive tract. I've not seen any blackworms for sale in any of my LFS :/ Would love to give them a try.
 
To be honest, I doubt your DPs will take much notice of bbs, microworms or anything of that size. Mine don't unless they are hungry and the worms really wriggle hard right in front of them. New born DPs take these though.

You can breed Daphnia for them. These might not be as nutritional but they provide roughage to clear their digestive tract. I've not seen any blackworms for sale in any of my LFS :/ Would love to give them a try.

Blackworm seem to be only available in US not over here, which is a shame.

Thank you for your advise re food, much appreciated, can I ask where you got your Daphnia from to breed please? I think they will be fine with the frozen bloodworms if I wriggle them a bit & the snails will fill any gaps, if would just be nice to give them some extra treats.
 
I got a bag of Daphnia from LFS and kept some in a tub with some ivy-leaf duckweed on the window sill. Feeding small amount of yeast solution and spirulina powder twice a week and small water changes as well. It doesn't breed enough to feed them as such but it's to supplement their diet rather. I've read some great threads here about breeding them inside or outside the house. Do a search on Daphnia.

If you buy sea food for yourself, have a go at trying mussels, clams, etc. Worth a try.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top