When To Add Coral?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

timpetty

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could give me any recommendations on when to add my first coral? The tank has been set up and cycled with CUC in it. Numbers (Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites etc) have been staying constant and a couple days ago I added my first fish. Slight ammonia spike on day one but seems to have leveled out. Does adding coral add to the bioload? This may be a dumb question but I havent read anything yet to tell me either way.

Thanks
Tim

Photosynthetic corals act as nutrient exports, but they do add some toxins to the tank (not toxic to fish).

I say that if your params have leveled out go ahead and add some, leathers for instance are hardier than most fish in my opinion.

hi tim
the coral will not add to your bioload it will only help with filtration so dont worry about that, a good rule of thumb is that if you add a fish try and then add a coral as they will help to cancel each other out, as for when to add corals it depends firstly what you have in mind ie softies or hard coral secondly what type of lighting and thirdly water quality, i would advise going with softies ie finger coral, leathers, pussey coral as these will be ok in varying water and light qualities, but as long as your water is staying around the same readings and is of decent quality it shouldnt be a prob to add some coral.

Thanks for the info jaesko. Water quality seems to keep pretty constant for now with the minimal bioload. Lighting is 64watt pc lighting in the Aquapod 24. Im planning on soft corals with low light demands.

Tim

Most reactions

Back