When the sleeper wakes...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Tank No.2

09102021 001.JPG

Planted in sand and, by necessity, weighted down by strategically placed pebbles, is Eleocharis acicularis, or Hair grass. The resident kuhli loach love to writhe through this, in search of titbits and, somewhat problematically, they also like to burrow under the roots and between the plant and the stones. (Please forgive the reflection :oops: ).

09102021 005.JPG

To the left is some A. reineckii, planted from Tank No.1 to facilitate cycling.
NOTE the Hairgrass, again secured by wood and pebbles.
The small plant attached to the base of that piece of wood is Cryptocoryne beckettii. Note that this is not buried and that it's rhizome is just above the surface of the sand.
The background shows a Java fern and, to the right, is the beginnings of my Vallisneria spiralis plantation. These are individually planted, relatively deep into the sand and, so far, seem to be resisting the interests of the kuhli loach.

09102021 007.JPG

The floating plant is Salvinia auriculata. All I had to do for this to grow like nobody's business, was to put it on the water. It's dangling roots attract a lot of interest from shrimp, kuhli loach, Tyrion and the cherry barbs. I don't have measurable nitrates in the water, either. :p
The big feathery plant, centre stage, is Limnophila sessiflora, or Dwarf abulia. This is also doing exceptionally well. Trimming produces viable cuttings and a second group of this plant has now been established to the left of the 'mother' plant. Occasionally, algae will appear on the fronds, but I note that this is gone by morning, thanks to the shrimps doing their thing.

EDIT: Plant names in bold.

Last edited:
09102021 003.JPG

This is one of my two Hygrophila species in the tank, namely H. guinensis, Guiana hygrophila. This has had a slow, but steady, growth and cuttings have been taken to spread it out a bit.
Behind this and to the back of the tank, is Hygrophila corymbosa, Giant hygrophila. This is a slower grower, although, of course, this may well be due to it being at the back of the tank. ;)

09102021 006.JPG

Note the Anubias barteri var. nana attached to the wood.

Another shot of the Vallis. plantation.

09102021 011.JPG

EDIT: Plant names in bold.

Last edited:
Tank No.2

View attachment 145004

Planted in sand and, by necessity, weighted down by strategically placed pebbles, is Eleocharis acicularis, or Hair grass. The resident kuhli loach love to writhe through this, in search of titbits and, somewhat problematically, they also like to burrow under the roots and between the plant and the stones. (Please forgive the reflection :oops: ).

View attachment 145005

To the left is some A. reineckii, planted from Tank No.1 to facilitate cycling.
NOTE the Hairgrass, again secured by wood and pebbles.
The small plant attached to the base of that piece of wood is Cryptocoryne beckettii. Note that this is not buried and that it's rhizome is just above the surface of the sand.
The background shows a Java fern and, to the right, is the beginnings of my Vallisneria spiralis plantation. These are individually planted, relatively deep into the sand and, so far, seem to be resisting the interests of the kuhli loach.

View attachment 145006

The floating plant is Salvinia auriculata. All I had to do for this to grow like nobody's business, was to put it on the water. It's dangling roots attract a lot of interest from shrimp, kuhli loach, Tyrion and the cherry barbs. I don't have measurable nitrates in the water, either. :p
The big feathery plant, centre stage, is Limnophila sessiflora, or Dwarf abulia. This is also doing exceptionally well. Trimming produces viable cuttings and a second group of this plant has now been established to the left of the 'mother' plant. Occasionally, algae will appear on the fronds, but I note that this is gone by morning, thanks to the shrimps doing their thing.
that dwarf Gourami is so colourful!

Here’s my Powder Blue Dwarf

Attachments

• E22EDD44-A2E0-42AB-9831-422833973FD7.jpeg
    E22EDD44-A2E0-42AB-9831-422833973FD7.jpeg
    369.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 35B7F597-6665-41B4-AA51-498C1DE552D5.jpeg
    35B7F597-6665-41B4-AA51-498C1DE552D5.jpeg
    414.1 KB · Views: 35
  • BBFBDB91-DA86-4342-B157-CBC7A517F479.jpeg
    BBFBDB91-DA86-4342-B157-CBC7A517F479.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 38
STOP PRESS!

I my SE Asian tank, I noticed a plethora of tiny, completely transparent, shrimp.
Now, given that Amano shrimp don't give birth to shrimplets and that they can't give birth to anything that'll survive in fresh water, then that meant another clear shrimp must be responsible.

It now appears that some of my Amano shrimp are actually Ghost/Glass shrimp.
I'm sure @noobfish will be pleased for me.

That's actually pretty cool. To be honest ghost shrimp and amanos look exactly the same to me. If I had a good reference book next to me I could probably tell them apart but would take a lot of hammering and head scratching.

I know what the differences are supposed to be but I just don't see it.

That's actually pretty cool. To be honest ghost shrimp and amanos look exactly the same to me. If I had a good reference book next to me I could probably tell them apart but would take a lot of hammering and head scratching.

I know what the differences are supposed to be but I just don't see it.
There are quite a few websites with Amano vs. Ghost shrimp and, armed with that info, I can confirm that I have both.
(To be honest, an Amano and a Ghost shrimp were kind enough to stand next to each other, right at the front of the tank).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back