When Is The Right Time To Euthanize?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

LolaLouie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My Dwarf Gourami has an ulcer that is continuing to get redder and deeper, he's had it for about 3 weeks and it's starting to look pretty bad. I know it could take a REALLY long time for a fish to die naturally so I was just wondering how you know when the right time to euthanize? Do fish feel pain?

He is swimming and acting totally normal so I don't know whether that means he's not affected by it and so I should leave him to die naturally. He does occasionally rub it against plants etc. but not very often.

I also have a Cory who has something (I'm not sure what) down his whole side, 1 side of him has turned totally white and looks like lots of little gouges out of his skin. Again I don't know whether he is in pain, he doesn't seem bothered by it.

What do I do?

Thanks in advance :good:

Can you post a pic of the sick cory.
Any redness in the white on the cory.
Leaving the fish in the tank with the sore has probably now infected the others.

Fish with sores can last quite a while.
If he dosn't look in pain I would leave him for now, though it would be better if you could issolate him.

I have lent my camera to a friend who is in India with it, he's back next week so can't post a pic until then. No red on the cory, I posted a pic before which you saw and none of us could really work out what it was. Both fish have been sick for 3-4 weeks and none of the other fish have become infected so I figure there's not much point isolating now??

I have treated with many medicines in the main tank which I think have stopped the infections from spreading but have not cured the sick fish.

I will leave both fish for now but just am not sure when the right time to euthanise is? What will kill the fish? Will the wounds just get so deep that it goes through to their organs?!?

Thanks for the response Wilder.

As long as the fish have the infections then the risk of infecting other fish is still there. The infection will slowly kill your fish I hate to say. The subject of wether fish feel pain has been discussed in depth for years. The only way to know for sure is to be a fish or have one suddenly speak english/chinese/russian etc etc... There are several ways to euthanize that are widely used by aquarist. Theres clove oil, decapitation, freezing and smacking with a mallet just to name a few. The way you handle this issue is entirely up to you. There is literally tons of information on the web to help you along as well after all knowledge is power.

Most reactions

Back