Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sponge

• Under Gravel

• Other

• Total voters
I only use Ehiem classics. Totally agree with CFC, no thrills just do an excellent job.

CF - I just paid £80 for my last 2215, where are you buying yours ???

DXG said:
I only use Ehiem classics. Totally agree with CFC, no thrills just do an excellent job.

CF - I just paid £80 for my last 2215, where are you buying yours ???
You need to check out the mail order prices, i get the vast majority of my hardware from a shop called Aquacadabra which has a big double page advert in PFK each month, i dont think they have a website but they can send you a e-catalogue if you ring up and give them your e-mail address, their number is 01322 345 242, delivery is free on most items over £30.

I got the juwel filter that comes with the tank.........I guess thats a sponge filter???????????????

No, a sponge filter is a air driven filter which works by drawing water through a sponge which is exposed in the tank and is connected to a tube with a chamber at the end, as the air bubbbles rise to the surface inside the tube the water they displace in the chamber is replaced by water drawn in through the sponge, simplicity in its self and IMO the best filters for small tanks (20 gallons or under)being used for fry, breeding, hospital or even small species only tanks.
The juwel filters are internal power filters with mechanical, biological and chemical filitration, they work in much the same way as canister filters but without the plus of being able to easily clean the filter chamber and having the filter out of the aquarium and out of sight.

I started with a fluval 4+, but since my tank is slightly overstocked, I just wanted to be sure, so I got myself an external cannister. It's an Eheim clone, but its really good. Called an Aqua-Pro 4, and it is meant for tanks up to 700l. The only problem with it is starting it. Thats a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!!! Other than that, very quiet, and superbly clean water all the time, much better than the internal fluval was!!
In my other tank, I have the Juwel filter running, and an external Fluval 204. Again, the combination of the 2 is superb!!!

I have an AC300 (HOB) and an Eheim 2217 on my 75gall and a Fluval 204 and a AC300 on my 30gall....a AC200 on my 10gall and the 6gall tank is all in one....water is sucked in a tube, to the top of the tank.....water trickles through media (noodles, sponge etc) then goes back in the tank......

The Fluval is OK but can be a pain when starting in that it spits out all sort of crap into the tank (I solved this by draining the water from the tubing into a bucket for 10 seconds first)....

The Eheim is simple but I haven't had it that long and haven't cleaned it out yet, which I am dreading!!!

The HOBs are wonderful!! They polish the water to crystal clear perfection, better than my Fluval does anyway....filter media is cheap and maintenance is easy

What is the difference between HOB filters and power filters? I have Penguin Minis on two of my tanks, which I love.

The only other kind of filter I've had are UGs, which I don't particularly like.

IMO the power filters push out the water ALOT more harder, but plain and simple they can not clean or suck in as much water as a canister, but there powerful water flo lets them clean tanks pretty darn good.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back