Whats Up With These Glofish®?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I apologize for discussing dogs instead of fish, but inbreeding in dogs is more documented than with fish. There are many people who are breeding working dogs that refuse to participate or register their dogs with the AKC. Many of the working, sporting, and herding breeds like Siberian Huskies, Labrador Retrievers, and Australian Shepherds look completely different in an AKC show, than the ones you see in their actual working environments. You see the rolly polly looking Labrador Retrievers at a show, and compare them to the "field" Labradors that hunters use, and it's sickening what the AKC has done to the breed. You see similar things with Australian Shepherds that are sometimes as large as 60 lbs. in the shows, instead of the more traditional 40 lbs.

To me, you may be able to develop some interesting looking fish through selective breeding, but at what cost? If you continue down that road too far, you eventually will have such unstable fish that you won't be able to keep the alive long enough to breed, and they'll all die off anyway. If you're going to do selective breeding, it should be to strengthen the species, not weaken it for the sake of a unique look.

I apologize for discussing dogs instead of fish, but inbreeding in dogs is more documented than with fish. There are many people who are breeding working dogs that refuse to participate or register their dogs with the AKC. Many of the working, sporting, and herding breeds like Siberian Huskies, Labrador Retrievers, and Australian Shepherds look completely different in an AKC show, than the ones you see in their actual working environments. You see the rolly polly looking Labrador Retrievers at a show, and compare them to the "field" Labradors that hunters use, and it's sickening what the AKC has done to the breed. You see similar things with Australian Shepherds that are sometimes as large as 60 lbs. in the shows, instead of the more traditional 40 lbs.

To me, you may be able to develop some interesting looking fish through selective breeding, but at what cost? If you continue down that road too far, you eventually will have such unstable fish that you won't be able to keep the alive long enough to breed, and they'll all die off anyway. If you're going to do selective breeding, it should be to strengthen the species, not weaken it for the sake of a unique look.
+1, precisely the point I was making with the dog discussion. The same should go all around. Selective breeding for betterment, not show.

+1, precisely the point I was making with the dog discussion. The same should go all around. Selective breeding for betterment, not show.

So does this mean that you guys are of my viewpoint that direct genetic manipulation is better for healthy fish stock than inbreeding a natural mutation?

So does this mean that you guys are of my viewpoint that direct genetic manipulation is better for healthy fish stock than inbreeding a natural mutation?
depends on what you mean by genetic manipulation. Let's go back to dogs for a sec. You have a German Shepard with one good trait (good fur quality, to keep it simple) that's a little on the small side, and you have another that has maybe not as nice fur but is a big strong dog. Why not match them to hopefully have pups that are large strong dogs with really nice fur. Its not inbreeding or genetic manipulation, its selective matching based on the individual traits for a hopeful better outcome in the breed.

Would I breed two dogs that are related to keep good qualities? No. To me, it raises potential for future issues.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back