What's the word on AquaHuna these days?

WhistlingBadger26 9

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
2x Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Dec 18, 2011
Messages
7,779
Reaction score
16,038
Points
113
Location
Where the deer and the antelope play
Morning everybody! I need to order some Sawbwa resplendens and Aquahuna seems to be the only semi-reputable outfit that has them in stock. Anybody order from them recently? I've had lots of DOAs (though good customer service making it right) from them in the past. But that was years ago and things can change. Anybody order from them recently? How was your experience, and most important, how were the fish?
 
I ordered my odessa barbs from them last year. No doa's and they are on the other side of the country from me. This was in February, so it was cold out.
I'm a loyal aquahuna fan.
 
Yeah, Connor, I remember you've had great experiences with them. That's encouraging to hear.
 
I ordered from them once about a year ago. It went without a hitch. If they had what I was looking for I'd order again without reservation.
 
OK, I'll give them another try. Thanks for the input. Hard to argue with their prices, if their critters arrive in good shape.
 
I use to use them a lot and mostly they were ok but the fishes had quite a few defects at time (I call them 'b' stock) but were otherwise healthy. I have had disease ridden fishes a couple of times and now have stopped using them - my last order was 2 years ago when i received a bunch of diseased green neon tetra. My understanding is at the time they were redoing their fish room (enlarging or moving).

The primary reason i stopped using them are (a) I prefer wc fishes and (b) sometime the defect rate was a bit high (if you look at the fishes carefully you can at time see signs of inbreeding or other defects that they don't pull like mis-formed tail or gill covering).

In truth with my very acidic environment wc fishes just do better.

I would NEVER order another cichild from them for any reason - dithers well... i still prefer wetspot or aquaticclarity.
 
I also wanted to note it is normal for them to send you extremely young fishes (this is not always the case but has been more often than not); this is both pro and con but conversely they do give you a size indication at the time of when you order so i do not consider a defect but do not under-estimate this aspect when placing your order.
 
They told me nothing about the size of the rasboras they sent beforehand. They refunded for the 2 DOAs. Had they told me, I would have told them to keep them.

I sold very expensive plecos for close to 30 years. I had one rule I never broke. I refused to sell; fish that had not reached 1.5 inches TL and were well over 6 months old. Except for that toxic bag period years ago, my fish always arrived alive and healthy.

For many years I got my fish as imports. These days I get them from folks in my club who are accomplished breeders.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ry2
They told me nothing about the size of the rasboras they sent beforehand. They refunded for the 2 DOAs. Had they told me, I would have told them to keep them.
They did you just didn't know where to look - every 'for sale' page has several pictures of the fishes including one that show the tank and the fishes next to a penny:


It might not have been obvious to yourself but it is still human error.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top