Whats the preferred choice for water

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Callisto405

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I would like to know the preferred choice of water for aquariums amongst the advanced fish community

I would like to know the preferred choice of water for aquariums amongst the advanced fish community
In what regard?

most use tap water that is treated with chlorines and chloramines. Or well water. Which may need to treated as well.

you’ll have to be a little more specific in your question

Blackwater. Embrace the tannins!
I had a little bit of tannins making it black water. It’s been water changed out though. I never minded the look of it, but I think a few months of letting my tanks mature before I add some leaves to bring that look back.

Soft and slightly acid. If your tank is acidic you won't get ammonia spikes. The soft part not so important but tends to come with acidity.

In what regard?

most use tap water that is treated with chlorines and chloramines. Or well water. Which may need to treated as well.

you’ll have to be a little more specific in your question

Is there a better choice than tap

I use my tap water, but it is really good water because the water plant is only a couple of miles from me and sets right on a very large natural river. If I was living back in the city, I doubt I would use that water for my aquariums.

I’m using a mix of source (tap) and RO (bought) water.

the best water to use I’d going to ultimately depends on what water you have access to and what kind of fish or livestock your are or are planning to keep

I think once the chlorine and chloramine problem is overcome tap water is the best option as it has things RO does not like good bacteria. RO removes this bacteria and it can't be easily replaced. My water has chloramine so I just double dose it with Seachems Prime and aerate it for a while. When I was using the recommended dose I would occasionally see chlorine poisoning in the fish after a water change. Haven't had a problem since doubling the dose

I think once the chlorine and chloramine problem is overcome tap water is the best option as it has things RO does not like good bacteria. RO removes this bacteria and it can't be easily replaced. My water has chloramine so I just double dose it with Seachems Prime and aerate it for a while. When I was using the recommended dose I would occasionally see chlorine poisoning in the fish after a water change. Haven't had a problem since doubling the dose

Tap water has no bacteria (good or bad). Choramine and chorine are added to the water to kill all bacteria.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back