Whats The Best Media Combination For An External Filter

StatMan

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 16, 2008
Messages
222
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Chelmsford, Essex
So I have just taken delivery of a pair of 304 Filter's second hand.

Looking to set them up and wondered if anyone has reccomendations for the Filter MEdis to put in the baskets.

Have already bouth new filter Pads.

The two filters had 3 baskets worth of media in:

Top:
Filter 1 - Blue Plastic cages, bit like mini plant pots.
Filter 2 - Ceramic pipe pieces 1/2 Stone Pellets (like Rabbit food) other 1/2

Middle:
Filter 1 - Small lumps of "Larva Rock"

Happy to swap out and not use some of the existing pieces to get the best results.

Filter 2 is going on a 200L tank which my son is setting up which will contain mainly barbs.
Filter 1 will go on a 240L community tank which will house variety of fish including some corries and Plecs as well as a couple of groups of shoaling fish such as Tetras Danio's etc. (or that is the plan at the moment.)

My son has been looking at the Fluval Media's he is thinking of:

BioMax
Zerocarb
Brown Pre filter mix

What would you use for either tank, would you use different media for different fish types? I am open to considering media from any manufaturer.

Have heard a recommendation for Eheim Media, costs more lasts longer.

Thanks

StatMan
 
Look like no has taken a crack at this so I guess I will...lol.

I have a HOB filter, and I have a foam insert, filter floss, and biomax(kind of like ceramic), and then when needed I had activated carbon.

-FHM
 
meh, with canisters I go with course sponges on the bottom, some ceramics in the middle, then filter floss on top.

Any other type of filter I just stuff it with sponges or pure filter floss.
 
sponges bottom , noodles middle and floss top
best way i've found - but thats just me
i only use sponges and floss in the other internal filters - never use any of the crappy cartridges thats meant to come with them or the proper make stuff , i use cut to size floss from ebay and generic sponges cut to size . the fluval or other make sponges and media are ridiculously priced when you could cut your own to size a lot cheaper and carbon are only really needed to remove meds or tannings (though i like the colour of tannings in the water as long as its still crystal )
floss is an excellent water polisher

sorry if a bit muddled but hopefully you can get it - MS head
 
From bottom try... sponge/course sponge topped with floss....... then noodles, cermaic rings or bioballs again if room top with floss...... and lastly half sponge half floss.

This way you have 3 different sets of polishing if first 1 misses anythink second one gets and it so on with the third, found this to be the best way to polish water and it stays crystal clear practically all the time :)

jen
 
When you are referring to sponge do you mean sponge as in similar to wash a car with or some other sort of media?

The tank has 4 lots of 3 inch by 8 inch approx foam pads fitted along with 3 rows of two baskets. I did think about buying a large piece and cut down for the filter foam, but decided that can wait until next time once I got things started.

What I want to ensure is that I have the right combination of media to take care of the water stats, if that means crystal clear water then that is a bonus.

StatMan
 
Foam/sponge insert, this is for mechanical filtration, and will also house a good amount of your beneficial bacteria.

Then whatever your LFS has for biological filtration, (this is where your beneficial bacteria will colonize the most). i.e. Biomax, bioballs, cermaic etc...

You can also pick up some filter floss, it might also be known as polyester, or filter fiber. Filter floss adds a very nice clear polish to your water as it traps very small debris that does not get trapped in your foam/sponge insert.

That is what you should get.

-FHM
 

Most reactions

Back
Top