Whats Should Toads Be Doing This Time Of Year ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emma12321

fish nerd
Reaction score
what should they be doing this time of year, i picked a toad the size of the palm of my hand out of the pond yesterday as the sides are too steep for it to get out on its own its back in there today i just melted a hole in the ice for the koi and could see it mooching about on the bottom. should it be dug in some leaf litter somewhere or is it normal to see them in ice cold water?

Emma

p.s
another alternative is to put it in the house over winter but what would i feed it cos i'm not having crickets chirping and doing my head in.

Just to add im in Barnsley, South Yorkshire UK as this bit seem to have been moved from the profile

Toads should be in hibernation this time of year, thay do that out of water, are you sure its a toad as thay only go to water to breed, it may be a frog as thay hibernate in the water by absorbing oxygen through there skin,

you can feed them wax worms, the pet shop should get them in for you, you could also get silent crickets,

Toads should be in hibernation this time of year, thay do that out of water, are you sure its a toad as thay only go to water to breed, it may be a frog as thay hibernate in the water by absorbing oxygen through there skin,

you can feed them wax worms, the pet shop should get them in for you, you could also get silent crickets,

Definately a toad i picked it up yesterday its all bumpy and crawls, there were frogs in the pond through the summer but not seen any for a while the grass snake may have eaten them, not sure where that will be hibernating either.

Toads need to breathe air don't they ? would i be best getting it out the pond and putting it under one of the compost bins in all the leaves? The ice on the pond is about an inch thick so unless it finds the holes i made it may suffocate.

Lol i worry about every thing only noticed it in the pond again as the fish were all in a line on the bottom

Toads need to breathe air don't they ? would i be best getting it out the pond and putting it under one of the compost bins in all the leaves?

yes thay do, I think it would be best, its not normal for them to be in water at this time of year, :huh:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back