Whats In Your Tropical Fish Medicine Cabinet?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

karigupi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I seem to be collecting bottles of fishie stuffs, this is one side of the hobby I knew nothing about until I got started, I figured it was get tank, add water, add fish!

So far I have:

Test kit
test strips (I know some people hate them, but I like them)
Ich treatment
Pimafix (sent to me by mistake, not sure what its for yet)
De-chlorinator
API stresszyme
Melafix
4 different types of dry food
2 types of frozen foods
PH down (never used not sure why I brought it)
Nutrafin Bioclear (again, never used not sure why I brought it?)
I'm sure there is more!
oh & about half a dozen books so far, but I love books so I dont mind adding more of those.

Are there any essentials I am missing? What would you not be without?

Hair algae treament, couple of syringes for dosing, a 2 litre icecream tub or equivalent for checking/treating fish. I also have a couple of bags of filter floss and a spare sponge incase I get caught short.

Melafix, pimafix, myxazin (all unopened!!) protozin and declor, thats it.

I keep a test kit and floss and the external filters only in mine (along with the empty equipment boxes, should they be needed for a warranty claim). There is little point in keeping meds to had, unless you are miles from a LFS and completely unable to get hold of meds quickly should you need to.

Dechlorinator, while recommended to the new aquarist to avoid potential issues, is not actually an essential...

Aquarium Salt increases the stress on teh fish, making them more likely to die prematurely or go down with disease over the long-term. I would never use it as a tonic. As a one of med for finrot, Whitespot or high Nitrite, it's great in the short-run, but long-term it is damaging :good:

If you are treating the fish well, and applying a proper Quarantine procedure, you should never need to medicate the main tank(s) in your house, only your Quarantine system if new fish go down with something :good:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back